Easy Zuppa Inglese (Italian Trifle) Recipe
Zuppa Inglese (Italian Trifle) Recipe is a super easy dessert made with rum soaked cake and layers of flavored custard. Decadent, elegant and easy.
Zuppa Inglese | Italian Trifle
- Individual serving glasses or dishes
- large bowl
- 2 medium bowls
- large saucepan
- medium saucepan
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate - chopped
- 2 t Frangelico or hazelnut extract
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t orange peel - finely grated
- 1/2 t lemon peel - finely grated
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 1 9 inch pound cake - 3 inches high
- Chocolate powder - optional
- Chocolate hazelnut candies for topping - optional
For Flavored Pastry Creams:
- Bring milk and 1/4 cup sugar to boil in a heavy large saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar in large bowl to blended.
- Sift flour into yolk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Gradually whisk in warm milk mixture.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and whisk over medium heat until custard boils and thickens about 2 minutes.
- Divide hot custard between 2 medium bowls.
- In the first bowl add chocolate and Frangelico to custard and stir until chocolate melts.
- In the second bowl add vanilla, orange and, lemon peel to custard, stir to mix.
- Cover each bowl with plastic wrap and press plastic wrap onto the surface of each custard and chill until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
For Rum Syrup:
- In a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat combine water and sugar and heat until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and mix in rum.
To Assemble and Serve:
- Cut sponge cake vertically into slices and cubes to fit your serving dishes.
- Place a layer of citrus custard on the bottom of your serving dish,
- Arrange enough cake slices to cover custard in a single layer.
- Brush rum syrup over the cake, then top with chocolate hazelnut custard.
- Add another layer of cake and brush with rum syrup.
- Top with a thin layer of chocolate custard, then a thin layer of vanilla citrus custard.
- Garnish with chocolate powder and chocolate hazelnut candy, if desired.
- Repeat for remaining servings.
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker