Easy Zuppa Inglese (Italian Trifle) Recipe
Zuppa Inglese (Italian Trifle) Recipe is a super easy dessert made with rum soaked cake and layers of flavored custard. Decadent, elegant and easy.
Zuppa Inglese | Italian Trifle
- Individual serving glasses or dishes
- large bowl
- 2 medium bowls
- large saucepan
- medium saucepan
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate - chopped
- 2 t Frangelico or hazelnut extract
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t orange peel - finely grated
- 1/2 t lemon peel - finely grated
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 1 9 inch pound cake - 3 inches high
- Chocolate powder - optional
- Chocolate hazelnut candies for topping - optional
For Flavored Pastry Creams:
- Bring milk and 1/4 cup sugar to boil in a heavy large saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks with 1/4 cup sugar in large bowl to blended.
- Sift flour into yolk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Gradually whisk in warm milk mixture.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and whisk over medium heat until custard boils and thickens about 2 minutes.
- Divide hot custard between 2 medium bowls.
- In the first bowl add chocolate and Frangelico to custard and stir until chocolate melts.
- In the second bowl add vanilla, orange and, lemon peel to custard, stir to mix.
- Cover each bowl with plastic wrap and press plastic wrap onto the surface of each custard and chill until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
For Rum Syrup:
- In a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat combine water and sugar and heat until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and mix in rum.
To Assemble and Serve:
- Cut sponge cake vertically into slices and cubes to fit your serving dishes.
- Place a layer of citrus custard on the bottom of your serving dish,
- Arrange enough cake slices to cover custard in a single layer.
- Brush rum syrup over the cake, then top with chocolate hazelnut custard.
- Add another layer of cake and brush with rum syrup.
- Top with a thin layer of chocolate custard, then a thin layer of vanilla citrus custard.
- Garnish with chocolate powder and chocolate hazelnut candy, if desired.
- Repeat for remaining servings.
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker