Tropical French Toast Casserole Recipe
Tropical French Toast Casserole is the perfect make-ahead breakfast or brunch dish.
Brioche bread dipped in nutmeg scented egg and cream batter, then cooked to a perfect golden brown and topped with pecans, bananas, and coconut flakes.
Since you can make this the day before this makes this a super easy way to serve delicious french toast for any breakfast or brunch.
Super Easy Tropical French Toast Casserole
French Toast casseroles are super easy to make and are very versatile. Once you have the basics down you can use your imagination to make your own special French toast casserole. French Toast Casseroles are one of my favorite go-to stress-free breakfast or brunch dishes. It's easy to make and always delicious.
French Bread Casserole
- 1 T butter
- 1 1/2 loaves of egg bread - challah or brioche or croissants
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 pint milk
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 c sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1 c sliced banana - ripe
- 1 c pecans
- 1/4 c maple syrup - optional
- .75 c coconut - sweetened flakes
- powdered sugar - optional
French Toast Casserole
To Assemble Casserole
- Use day-old challah or brioche bread sliced 1/2 inch thick. Arrange slices in a buttered 4-quart baking dish, overlapping slices as necessary.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg, and pour 1/2 of the mixture over the sliced bread and let sit, refrigerated for about 20 minutes. Keep bread and egg and cream mixture cold while you let the bread rest.
- The bread will absorb most of the cream mixture. After 20 minutes add more of the cream mixture so that the is just a little bit in the bottom. Cover dish tightly with cling wrap. Reserve any remaining mixture and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Cook French Toast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If the casserole seems too dry add a little of the reserved cream mixture. Be careful. Less is more when using the cream mixture if you want the casserole to brown and caramelize beautifully. Too much cream and the casserole will be soggy and not very appetizing.
- Bake in a 400 degree F. preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degree F. and cook for an additional 10 - 15 minutes until custard is set and toast beginning to become golden.
- Top casserole with pecans and bananas, cook for an additional 15 - 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and custard is firmly set. Check center of your bread pudding with a skewer to make sure the center is cooked and set. The skewer should come out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar and coconut. Serve warm maple syrup on the side. Serve the casserole hot.
Stress-free Entertaining Options:It's really important to keep eggs, cream, and milk very cold while assembling this dish the night before. Then cover tightly and store in the coldest part of the refrigerator overnight. Cook The Day Before: The french toast casserole can be baked one day in advance. Reduce cooking time by 10 minutes - cook it just until eggs are set. Before reheating, combine 1⁄2 cup milk and1⁄2 cup cream in a bowl and stir - you may not need a full cup. Only use as much as you need to remoisten the casserole. Drizzle it over the bread slices. Bake 25-30 minutes in a 325-degree oven. Serve hot.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker