Learn the Secret to the Perfect Buttermilk Biscuits
Learn the Secret to the Perfect Buttermilk Biscuits. Being from the south, it’s not breakfast without biscuits. Buttery, flaky goodness that’s perfect any time of day. Once you’ve perfected the basic recipe the variations are endless.
The Perfect Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour - spooned & leveled
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 2 t sugar
- 1 t salt
- 6 T unsalted butter - very cold and sliced
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 T salted sweet butter - melted
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt until well combined. Add the in the really cold sliced butter and cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter, food processor or use a fork like my Granny did. You'll end up with little balls of butter (about the size of a pea - no smaller).
- Pour the cold buttermilk into the mixture and gently work it together until the dough starts to form. Then finish combining with clean floured hands.
- Keep your hands well floured when working with the dough,
- Gently form dough into a ball with your hands.
- Place the dough on a cold lightly floured surface (my Granny used an ancient marble slab brought over from Italy) and gently press evenly to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Then fold over once, then once more. Repeat this process.
- Finally, using a floured rolling pin or glass and roll one final time to about 1/2 thick layer of dough. Cut the biscuits using a floured cookie or biscuit cutter or a glass. Cut the biscuits close together, to minimize the number of times you need to rework the dough.
- Gather the scraps of dough and roll it to about 1/2 inch thick layer of dough. You should be able to get a dozen biscuits from this recipe.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheet close to touching but not touching each other.
- Bake at 450°F for about 12 minutes. Brush the top of each biscuit with a melted butter. and cook another 3 - 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?