Spicy Thai Coconut Steamed Mussels Recipe
Spicy Thai Coconut Steamed Mussels are an easy elegant appetizer or main course for holiday meals, or special occasion meals, or everyday dining.
Steamed Thai Spicy Coconut Mussels
- 5 pounds fresh mussels - scrubbed and debearded
- 1/3 C fresh lime juice
- 13.5 oz unsweetened coconut milk - (1 can)
- 1/3 C dry white wine
- 1 1/2 T Thai red curry paste
- 1 1/2 T minced garlic
- 1 T Asian fish sauce
- 1 T white sugar
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 C fresh cilantro - chopped
How to Clean and Debeard Mussels
- Most mussels in markets are now farm-raised and are pretty clean, but you should still clean them. If you purchase wild mussels they will most likely be full of sand and have seaweed or barnacles or mud on the shell.
- Place a colander in the sink, add the mussels, and run cold water over them.
- Using your hands or a clean scrubbing brush to rub off any debris from the outside of the shell.
- Look for shells that are open and lightly tap on them or tap them against the sink or counter and set them aside for a minute or 2. If they close they are alive and can be added back to the rest of the mussels, if not discard prior to cooking.
- If you have wild mussels you'll need to debeard them. The "beard" is the clump of hair-like fiber that grows out of the shell. Farm-raised mussels will typically come debearded, but you should check them and remove any stray beards.
- To remove the beard from the mussels, grab it with your thumb and forefinger and using a back and forth movement tug it toward the hinge of the mussel shell. Remove as much of the beard as you can. Don't stress if you can remove all of it.
To Cook the Mussels
- In a large stockpot, combine the lime juice, coconut milk, wine, curry paste, garlic, fish sauce, and sugar.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and curry paste.
- Stir to dissolve sugar and curry paste and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Boil broth for about 2 minutes before adding the mussels.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover to cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels are opened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard any unopened mussels.
- Pour mussels and liquid into a serving dish and toss with cilantro and red pepper flakes to taste.
- To make this a meal served with steamed white rice or crusty French bread to soak up the broth and a simple salad dressed simply with rice vinegar.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?