Quick and Easy Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
This Quick and Easy Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya recipe is ready in less than 45 minutes. Who knew Jambalaya with all that flavor was quick and easy to make. Now you can serve this iconic New Orleans favorite any night of the week.
Jambalaya is packed full of flavor, starting with the holy trinity of Cajun and Creole cooking – bell peppers, celery and onions – and you can customize the protein used. This recipe calls for chicken, shrimp, and sausage but is just as delicious with just chicken or shrimp.
Need to get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes?
20 minute Shrimp and Sausage
Omit the chicken and double amount of shrimp and sausage. And use 2 packages of the precooked 90-second rice.
Traditional New Orleans Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 1 T paprika - or more to tast
- 3 t olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 ribs celery - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup andouille sausage - cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 29 oz stewed tomatoes - 2 cans (14.5 ounces each)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 t leaf thyme - crumbled
- 1 1/2 t salt - or to taste
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1/4 t hot pepper sauce - Tabasco
- 1 pound shrimp - shelled and deveined
- Wash chicken and cut into 2-inch pieces and pat dry; rub with the paprika.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add onion, green bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté over medium heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage, tomatoes, chicken broth, rice, thyme, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Add chicken and turn to coat with sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and chicken cooked through.
- Stir in shrimp and cook about 3 minutes longer, or just until shrimp turn pink.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker