Philly Style Italian Roast Pork Recipe
Philly Style Italian Roast Pork – I grew up in an Italian home and we made plenty of roast pork. But when I met my husband and cooked roast pork I learned quickly that it wasn’t “Philly Style” roast pork… He wanted Philly style Roast Pork “like Tony Lukes”. A quick google search later and I had a copycat recipe that I modified for this Slow Cooker Italian Roast Pork recipe.
This is the easiest roast pork you’ll ever make, is delicious and will satisfy any Philly native. Add steamed broccolini and roasted long hots – perfection. Now if I could just solve the roll problem – no roll made outside of Philly is right according to my husband. 🙂
Slow Cooker Italian Roast Pork
This is the easiest roast pork you'll ever make, is delicious and will satisfy any Philly native. Add steamed broccoli rabe and roasted long hots - perfection. Now if I could just solve the roll problem - no roll made outside of Philly is right according to my husband. 🙂
For the Pork
- 2 1/2 lb pork tenderloin
- 3 T garlic chopped
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 T rosemary - dried
- 3 T parsley - dried
- 1 T sea salt
- 1 T fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 T olive oil
For the Broccoli Rabe
- 1 lb broccoli rabe
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves - finely minced
- 1/2 red pepper flakes
For the Sandwiches
- crusty Italian roll - football shaped
- 1/2 lb sharp provolone cheese - sliced
Roasted Long Hots
- Long Hot Peppers
- 2 T olive oil
- For Pork
- Heat slow cooker on high setting.
- Trim tenderloins and season with salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saute pan add about 2 T of olive oil and heat over med-high heat until hot.
- Add tenderloins to olive oil and quickly sear, browning for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and place in the bottom of the slow cooker with any accumulated pan juices.
- Mix garlic, red wine vinegar, dried rosemary, dried parsley, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add mixture to the pork in the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3 hours
- Turn down to low and cook at least 3 hours longer or until the pork is falling apart.
- Shred pork in the slow cooker with pan juices
For the broccoli rabe:
- Wash thoroughly
- Cut the florets off the top
- Bring 3 qt salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add broccoli rabe florets and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from boiling water and drain, but reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a deep frying pan heat olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic together over medium heat.
- Once the garlic begins to sauté, begin to time about two minutes (till very lightly browned) add drained broccoli.
- Sauté the broccoli rabe about 3-5 minutes longer and then add the cooking liquid from the pot if needed.
Long Hot Peppers
- You may want to wear rubber gloves when working with peppers.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Cut the stem off the peppers
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise
- Remove seeds
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spray or drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle with fresh ground sea salt
- Roast for approximately 10 minutes until skins are beginning to get dark spots
To assemble the sandwiches
- Heat rolls
- Slice rolls but do not cut through them, you want them to be hinged
- Add a slice or 2 of provolone to the roll before adding the meat.
- Serve broccoli rabe and long hots on the side and let everyone add them as desired.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?