Philly Style Italian Roast Pork Recipe
Philly Style Italian Roast Pork – I grew up in an Italian home and we made plenty of roast pork. But when I met my husband and cooked roast pork I learned quickly that it wasn’t “Philly Style” roast pork… He wanted Philly style Roast Pork “like Tony Lukes”. A quick google search later and I had a copycat recipe that I modified for this Slow Cooker Italian Roast Pork recipe.
This is the easiest roast pork you’ll ever make, is delicious and will satisfy any Philly native. Add steamed broccolini and roasted long hots – perfection. Now if I could just solve the roll problem – no roll made outside of Philly is right according to my husband. 🙂
Slow Cooker Italian Roast Pork
This is the easiest roast pork you'll ever make, is delicious and will satisfy any Philly native. Add steamed broccoli rabe and roasted long hots - perfection. Now if I could just solve the roll problem - no roll made outside of Philly is right according to my husband. 🙂
For the Pork
- 2 1/2 lb pork tenderloin
- 3 T garlic chopped
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 T rosemary - dried
- 3 T parsley - dried
- 1 T sea salt
- 1 T fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 T olive oil
For the Broccoli Rabe
- 1 lb broccoli rabe
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves - finely minced
- 1/2 red pepper flakes
For the Sandwiches
- crusty Italian roll - football shaped
- 1/2 lb sharp provolone cheese - sliced
Roasted Long Hots
- Long Hot Peppers
- 2 T olive oil
- For Pork
- Heat slow cooker on high setting.
- Trim tenderloins and season with salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saute pan add about 2 T of olive oil and heat over med-high heat until hot.
- Add tenderloins to olive oil and quickly sear, browning for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and place in the bottom of the slow cooker with any accumulated pan juices.
- Mix garlic, red wine vinegar, dried rosemary, dried parsley, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Add mixture to the pork in the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3 hours
- Turn down to low and cook at least 3 hours longer or until the pork is falling apart.
- Shred pork in the slow cooker with pan juices
For the broccoli rabe:
- Wash thoroughly
- Cut the florets off the top
- Bring 3 qt salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add broccoli rabe florets and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from boiling water and drain, but reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a deep frying pan heat olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic together over medium heat.
- Once the garlic begins to sauté, begin to time about two minutes (till very lightly browned) add drained broccoli.
- Sauté the broccoli rabe about 3-5 minutes longer and then add the cooking liquid from the pot if needed.
Long Hot Peppers
- You may want to wear rubber gloves when working with peppers.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Cut the stem off the peppers
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise
- Remove seeds
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spray or drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle with fresh ground sea salt
- Roast for approximately 10 minutes until skins are beginning to get dark spots
To assemble the sandwiches
- Heat rolls
- Slice rolls but do not cut through them, you want them to be hinged
- Add a slice or 2 of provolone to the roll before adding the meat.
- Serve broccoli rabe and long hots on the side and let everyone add them as desired.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?