New Orleans Cajun Seafood Gumbo Recipe
New Orleans Cajun Seafood Gumbo is filled with an assortment of seafood with fish, shrimp, crab, and oysters. The best spicy seafood gumbo – ever.
This iconic New Orleans stew is rich and spicy. This will become your new favorite gumbo, it’s filled with a variety of seafood, has the perfect amount of spice and the roux makes this a thick, rich stew.
The major difference between Creole and Cajun Gumbo is the base. Creole gumbo is a little more delicate and has a tomato base. Cajun gumbo is thick, rich and hearty and get’s it gorgeous coloring from the roux.
New Orleans Style Seafood Gumbo
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 8 ribs celery - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 8 cups seafood broth - canned or from base
- 48 oz tomatoes - canned, diced
- 20 oz okra - frozen sliced, thawed
- 1 lbs crab claws
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T hot sauce - like Tabasco
- 2 large dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
- 2 t dried leaf thyme
- 2 t dried leaf basil
- 2 t dried leaf oregano
- 1 t sage
- 1 t pepper
- 2 lbs shrimp - medium, unpeeled
- 1 qt oysters - undrained, optional
- 1 lbs crab meat
- 1 lbs fish fillets - such as catfish or other firm white fish, cut in 1-inch pieces
- hot cooked rice
- file powder - optional
- Combine oil and flour in a heavy skillet; cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux is dark. Be very careful to keep the roux from scorching. Stir in onion, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Transfer mixture to a Dutch oven or large kettle.
- Add broth, tomatoes, okra, crab claws, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, sage, and pepper; simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Add shrimp, oysters, crab meat, and fish to the pot; simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice and, if desired, sprinkle with file.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker