New Orleans Cajun Seafood Gumbo Recipe
New Orleans Cajun Seafood Gumbo is filled with an assortment of seafood with fish, shrimp, crab, and oysters. The best spicy seafood gumbo – ever.
This iconic New Orleans stew is rich and spicy. This will become your new favorite gumbo, it’s filled with a variety of seafood, has the perfect amount of spice and the roux makes this a thick, rich stew.
The major difference between Creole and Cajun Gumbo is the base. Creole gumbo is a little more delicate and has a tomato base. Cajun gumbo is thick, rich and hearty and get’s it gorgeous coloring from the roux.
New Orleans Style Seafood Gumbo
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 8 ribs celery - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 8 cups seafood broth - canned or from base
- 48 oz tomatoes - canned, diced
- 20 oz okra - frozen sliced, thawed
- 1 lbs crab claws
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T hot sauce - like Tabasco
- 2 large dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
- 2 t dried leaf thyme
- 2 t dried leaf basil
- 2 t dried leaf oregano
- 1 t sage
- 1 t pepper
- 2 lbs shrimp - medium, unpeeled
- 1 qt oysters - undrained, optional
- 1 lbs crab meat
- 1 lbs fish fillets - such as catfish or other firm white fish, cut in 1-inch pieces
- hot cooked rice
- file powder - optional
- Combine oil and flour in a heavy skillet; cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux is dark. Be very careful to keep the roux from scorching. Stir in onion, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Transfer mixture to a Dutch oven or large kettle.
- Add broth, tomatoes, okra, crab claws, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, sage, and pepper; simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Add shrimp, oysters, crab meat, and fish to the pot; simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve gumbo over hot cooked rice and, if desired, sprinkle with file.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker