Mexican Hot Chocolate Bread Pudding Recipe
Mexican Hot Chocolate Bread Pudding is the perfect bread pudding pairing of sweet luscious chocolate, cherries, and a tiny bit of heat.
Confession – I’m obsessed with Mexican chocolates and sweet heat. This is the bread pudding to bring it all together.
Sweet Mexican chocolate with a little bit of heat from spicy chili would be perfect on its own but melted into this amazingly delicious bread pudding takes it over the top.
The addition of dried tart cherries makes this pretty much my idea of the perfect dessert.
Serve hot with just a dusting of powdered sugar or add a scoop of vanilla bean or dulce de leche ice cream. Pure heaven.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 8 x 8 x 2 inch glass baking dish
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter - for greasing
- 5 cups French bread - day-old and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk - !! DO NOT substitute low fat versions
- 6 oz Mexican chocolate with Chili - * chopped.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries - or cranberries
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar - for dusting
- Butter an 8 by 8 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- Place the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish.
- In a large saucepan heat milk until simmering. Remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- In a medium bowl beat sugar, eggs, and egg yolks with a hand mixer until well blended.
- Slowly add chocolate mixture and whisk into the egg mixture.
- Add the dried tart cherries and cinnamon. Pour the custard over the bread. Let the mixture stand for 1 hour (some custard will not be absorbed). Can be prepared and refrigerated for up to 2 hours ahead.
- Pour the custard over the bread, cover with plastic wrap and let stand refrigerated for at least 1 hour, up to 3 hours total. The bread will absorb most of the custard, but not all of it.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake until firmly set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean - about 45 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker