Low-Calorie Chicken Marbella Recipe
This is an update on a classic recipe from “The Silver Palate Cookbook” by Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso, published in the early ’80s. I received a copy from a friend’s mother in the mid-’90s after I complimented her version of Chicken Marbella.
The cookbook was a housewarming gift when I took my first job in Atlanta and was a very welcomed gift since my cooking skills were pretty limited. This cookbook was my introduction into a world of new flavors and new ingredients and very influential in inspiring me to cook and love food.
I hadn’t thought about this recipe in years – then while browsing the web reading recipes (I read recipes like other people read news or gossip) I stumbled upon an updated version. That chance encounter inspired me to find my old cookbook and create a lower calorie, healthier version of Chicken Marbella.
When I made this for my husband he loved it! And couldn’t believe I’d been holding out on him. This is now part of our monthly rotation and is the dish he wants me to cook whenever we host friends for dinner.
I hope you enjoy this updated version!
Updated Classic Chicken Marbella - Lower Calories + Healthier
- 5 T extra-virgin olive oil - good quality first-press Italian
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 T capers - drained
- 1 T oregano - fresh, chopped
- 1 T honey
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olive spread*
- 1/4 cup olive tapenade*
- 3/4 t Himalayan pink salt - divided
- 4 chicken breast halves - bone-in, chicken breast, skin removed
- 3/4 t black pepper - fresh ground
- 16 garlic cloves - peeled
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 24 pitted olives - a mix of green and black olives like Castelvetrano or Kalamata
- 1 cup dried figs
- 1 preserved Meyer lemon - cut into 1/4-inch slices*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Preheat a glass or ceramic baking dish large enough to accommodate 4 chicken breasts
- Whisk together 1/4 cup oil, vinegar, capers, Kalamata olive spread, olive tapenade, oregano, honey, and 1/4 t salt; set aside
- Pre-heat a deep flat-bottom skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat
- Heat 1 T oil in a sauté pan over medium-high
- Season skinless chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste
- Add chicken to pan, breast side down, and sear until well browned about 9 - 10 minutes
- Remove chicken; cover and set aside
- Add garlic cloves to pan drippings
- Cook, stirring frequently until garlic is lightly browned and beginning to blistered, about 2 - 3 minutes
- Add wine cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes
- Stir in olives and figs
- Add chicken, breast side up to the preheated baking dish
- Pour garlic wine mixture over the chicken
- Pour vinegar mixture over chicken
- Place lemon slices on top of chicken breasts
- Cover and bake at 350°F 40 minutes
- Uncover and bake until liquid has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes
- Add a couple of turns of the pepper grinder to each chicken breast
- Let sit loosely covered for 5 minutes
- Serve warm
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker