Traditional Kentucky Burgoo
Kentucky Burgoo was a dish designed to feed lots of people for very little money. Traditional burgoo was made using whatever meats and vegetables were available—typically, it was wild caught game like venison, squirrel, rabbit, opossum, raccoon or game birds. Today, we typically use pork, chicken, beef lamb, veal or a combination of meats.
Traditional vegetables, such as lima beans, corn, okra, tomatoes, cabbage, and potatoes are added to make a hearty dish and help to thicken the stew.
A good burgoo is said to be able to have a spoon stand up in it.
Cider vinegar, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or chili powder are common condiments to be served alongside the stew.
Slow Cooker Kentucky Burgoo
- 2 lbs chicken breast - cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin - cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 T salt
- 2 T black pepper
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 2 lemons
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Slow Cooker
- 1 sweet onions coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 sweet or regular potatoes - pick fairly good sized potatoes
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 2 green peppers coarsely chopped
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 16 oz water - more or less depending on the size of your slow cooker. You don't want the meat to be completely covered.
For the last hour of cooking
- 1 cup fresh lima beans - frozen is okay if you can't find fresh I actually don't like lima beans or any beans for that matter, so I usually leave these out, but adding beans is the right thing to do 🙂
- 1 cup sliced frozen okra
- 1 cup fresh cut corn - frozen will work
- tabasco - to serve on the side
- Squeeze lemon over pork and chicken.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix to coat pork and chicken
- Season with salt, pepper, cayenne
- In a large dutch oven brown the chicken and pork in 1 T of olive oil.
- Move meat to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-7. Until meat is really tender.
- Add additional vegetables and cook on low for an additional 30 - 40 minutes.
- The stew will not be thick. It's still delicious and can be served this way, but if you'd like to thicken the stew combine a 1/4 cup of about a T of cornstarch in a small sauce pan and heat whisking to combine. You can either stir it into the stew in the Slow Cooker and cook for 15 - 20 minutes on high with the lid off. Alternatively, you can transfer the stew to a large dutch oven, add the cornstarch and water mixture and finish over a med-high burner for 10 or 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker