Traditional Kentucky Burgoo
Kentucky Burgoo was a dish designed to feed lots of people for very little money. Traditional burgoo was made using whatever meats and vegetables were available—typically, it was wild caught game like venison, squirrel, rabbit, opossum, raccoon or game birds. Today, we typically use pork, chicken, beef lamb, veal or a combination of meats.
Traditional vegetables, such as lima beans, corn, okra, tomatoes, cabbage, and potatoes are added to make a hearty dish and help to thicken the stew.
A good burgoo is said to be able to have a spoon stand up in it.
Cider vinegar, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or chili powder are common condiments to be served alongside the stew.
Slow Cooker Kentucky Burgoo
- 2 lbs chicken breast - cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin - cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 T salt
- 2 T black pepper
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 2 lemons
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Slow Cooker
- 1 sweet onions coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 sweet or regular potatoes - pick fairly good sized potatoes
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 2 green peppers coarsely chopped
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 16 oz water - more or less depending on the size of your slow cooker. You don't want the meat to be completely covered.
For the last hour of cooking
- 1 cup fresh lima beans - frozen is okay if you can't find fresh I actually don't like lima beans or any beans for that matter, so I usually leave these out, but adding beans is the right thing to do 🙂
- 1 cup sliced frozen okra
- 1 cup fresh cut corn - frozen will work
- tabasco - to serve on the side
- Squeeze lemon over pork and chicken.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix to coat pork and chicken
- Season with salt, pepper, cayenne
- In a large dutch oven brown the chicken and pork in 1 T of olive oil.
- Move meat to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-7. Until meat is really tender.
- Add additional vegetables and cook on low for an additional 30 - 40 minutes.
- The stew will not be thick. It's still delicious and can be served this way, but if you'd like to thicken the stew combine a 1/4 cup of about a T of cornstarch in a small sauce pan and heat whisking to combine. You can either stir it into the stew in the Slow Cooker and cook for 15 - 20 minutes on high with the lid off. Alternatively, you can transfer the stew to a large dutch oven, add the cornstarch and water mixture and finish over a med-high burner for 10 or 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Mexican independence with a south of the border inspired Mexican Fiesta.
Cinco de Mayo Cocktails – 21 Mexican Cocktails to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Margaritas, Palomas and more. Tequila tasting bar.
Spicy Orange Muddled Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling the fruit all the flavor of both the juice and the zest.
Spicy Classic Margarita turns up the heat with a slice of jalapeno and paired with a sweet heat rim of sugar and chipotle chili.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker