Kelly's Kentucky Hot Brown
According to Louisville's Brown Hotel, this is the history of this legendary dish.
"In the 1920's, The Brown Hotel drew over 1,200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. By the wee hours of the morning, guests would grow weary of dancing and make their way to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Sensing their desire for something more glamorous than traditional ham and eggs, Chef Fred Schmidt set out to create something new to tempt his guests' palates. His unique dish? An open-faced turkey sandwich with bacon and a delicate Mornay sauce. The Hot Brown was born!" Here's the original famous recipe.
I like to use fresh ingredients from the farmers market, so plan a morning outing to the market and make these for a hearty lunch. You won't find these on any diet plan - so don't even think about. It has to be a Mornay sauce and there really is no way to lighten it up. So just sit back, relax and enjoy. you can walk an extra mile tomorrow.
I use my grilled citrus brined Turkey for this recipe, you can find it here.
- 1 citrus brined grill turkey breast or cooked roast turkey breast - about 4 to 5 pounds - not deli turkey, you want thick slices of turkey a simple roast turkey recipe is detailed below.
- 2 Green or heirloom tomatoes
- 16 slices of cooked thick cut bacon - very crispy - no droopy bacon for this hot brown*
- 1 bunch Parsley finely chopped- optional
For the sauce:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese - plus extra for garnish
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 8 1/2-inch thick slices good farmers market type hearty white bread
- Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter - to butter the bread
For the Turkey
Simple Roast Turkey Recipe
To roast a turkey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Drizzle olive oil over the breast season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a small roasting pan and roast for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 155 degrees F, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven, loosely tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice thickly.
For Mornay Sauce
- In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until combined to form a roux or a thick paste-like consistency - you want this to be very smooth, so go slow adding the flour.
- Continue to cook roux for 2 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently - you want a light golden brown color - if it starts to get dark go to the next step.
- Whisk heavy cream into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to simmer about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in Pecorino-Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth.
- Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Lightly butter both sides of the bread with Kerrygold soft butter
- In a large skillet or griddle toast both sides of each piece of bread
- Preheat broiler.
- Place roast in an oven safe dish or sheet pan.
- Top each piece of toast with 2 slices of turkey and a slice of tomato, pour the sauce over the top of the turkey and toast to cover and sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Place under the broiler and cook until the cheese and sauce are bubbly and the top is nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven, top each slice with 2 slices of crispy bacon - laid across each other and sprinkle each slice with paprika then parsley.
- Serve immediately.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker