Irish Eggs Benedict Bubble and Squeak Recipe
Irish Eggs Benedict Bubble and Squeak have a funny name but this potato pancake is filled with cabbage and bacon then topped with a poached egg, hollandaise sauce, and peas.
Good to Know
The dish is called bubble and squeak because the cabbage makes bubbling and squeaking sounds during the cooking process.
Irish Bubble and Squeak Eggs Benedict
Squeak and Bubble
- 5 potatoes - boiled, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 lbs bacon - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head cabbage - in 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 T vinegar
- 6 eggs - large
Gordon Ramsey Basic Hollandaise
- 2 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp peppercorn
- 1 bunch tarragon
- 3 egg yolks - large
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter - melted and skimmed
- 1 cup peas - cooked
- 1/2 lemon
Bubble and Squeak
- In a cast iron skillet, brown the bacon and pour off grease except a spoonful or two. Remove the bacon and save.
- Add the cabbage and water, cover, and cook on low for 15-20 minutes (or until the cabbage begins to be tender).
- Add the boiled potatoes and bacon and cook a little longer, allowing flavors to blend.
- Salt to taste, and add extra water if you need to cook it longer.
- Crack each egg into a ramekin or bowl.
- Bring a pan of unsalted water at least 2-3 in deep with 1 t vinegar to a simmer over medium heat.
- Create a little vortex in the water and slip 1 egg into the pan. The yolk should follow the white.
- Cook for 2 minutes then turn off the heat and leave the pan for 8-10 minutes.
- Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain it on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- Repeat for remaining eggs
Gordon Ramsey Basic Hollandaise
- Boil vinegar, peppercorns, and tarragon, together and reduce by half. Strain and reserve.
- Boil a large pan of water, then reduce to a simmer.
- Using a large balloon whisk, beat together the yolks and 2 tsp of the reduced wine vinegar in a heatproof bowl that fits snugly over the pan.
- Beat vigorously until the mixture forms a foam, make sure the yolks don't get too hot. You may need to remove the bowl from the heat from time to time while you whisk, scraping around the sides with a plastic spatula. You want a golden, airy foam.
- remove from heat and whisk in warmed butter, a little at a time, then return the bowl over gentle heat to cook a little more. Repeat until all the butter is incorporated and you have a thick texture like mayonnaise.
- Finally, whisk in lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste plus a little warm water from the pan if the mixture is too thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut a circle of Bubble and Squeak and place on a plate.
- Top with a poached egg.
- Sprinkle peas around the potato cake.
- Top with Hollandaise sauce.
- Serve immediately.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker