How to Make A King Cake Recipe
Learn how to Make a New Orleans Mardi Gras King Cake. No Mardi Gras celebration is complete without the iconic Mardi Gras King Cake.
King Cake History and Tradition
No Mardi Gras celebration is complete without a King Cake. This cake is actually a sweetened yeast bread, usually baked in a ring shape. The cake is frosted with the traditional colors of Mardi Gras—gold, green, and purple—icing representing in order, power, faith, and justice. Although this cake is colorful and tasty, the real fun hides within the cake.
King Cake Surprise
The maker of each King Cake hides a token in the cake. The tokens used are a dried red bean or a figurine of a baby, representing the Christ child. When the cake is cut and shared, the finder of the hidden treasure is said to enjoy good luck for the coming year. The lucky recipient may also be expected to bake the King Cake or throw the Mardi Gras party for the following year.
Mardi Gras King Cake Recipe
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water - about 105 to 115 degrees
- 2 t milk - scalded and cooled
- 4 cups flour
- 8 oz butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 t melted butter
- 1 large egg - beaten
- very small plastic doll - a large bean, ring or clean coin
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 t lemon juice
- 2 to 3 T water
- 2 cups granulated sugar colored with food coloring pastes: - green, purple, and yellow
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk and about 1/2 cup of flour. In a large bowl, blend butter, sugar, salt, and eggs.
- Add yeast mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, add 2 1/2 cups flour to make a medium dough.
- Place in a greased bowl and brush with melted butter.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until double in volume, about 3 hours.
- Use 1 cup or more flour to knead dough and roll into a 4-5 foot long rope.
- Form into an oval on a 14 x 17" greased baking sheet, connecting ends of the rope with a few drops of water to make a good seal.
- Press the doll, bean, or coin into the dough from the bottom.
- Cover dough ring with a damp cloth and let rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
- Brush with egg.
- Bake at 325° for 35 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and enough water to achieve desired consistency.
- Spread over cake.
- Sprinkle with alternating bands of colored sugar.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker