How to Make A King Cake Recipe
Learn how to Make a New Orleans Mardi Gras King Cake. No Mardi Gras celebration is complete without the iconic Mardi Gras King Cake.
King Cake History and Tradition
No Mardi Gras celebration is complete without a King Cake. This cake is actually a sweetened yeast bread, usually baked in a ring shape. The cake is frosted with the traditional colors of Mardi Gras—gold, green, and purple—icing representing in order, power, faith, and justice. Although this cake is colorful and tasty, the real fun hides within the cake.
King Cake Surprise
The maker of each King Cake hides a token in the cake. The tokens used are a dried red bean or a figurine of a baby, representing the Christ child. When the cake is cut and shared, the finder of the hidden treasure is said to enjoy good luck for the coming year. The lucky recipient may also be expected to bake the King Cake or throw the Mardi Gras party for the following year.
Mardi Gras King Cake Recipe
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water - about 105 to 115 degrees
- 2 t milk - scalded and cooled
- 4 cups flour
- 8 oz butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 t melted butter
- 1 large egg - beaten
- very small plastic doll - a large bean, ring or clean coin
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 t lemon juice
- 2 to 3 T water
- 2 cups granulated sugar colored with food coloring pastes: - green, purple, and yellow
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk and about 1/2 cup of flour. In a large bowl, blend butter, sugar, salt, and eggs.
- Add yeast mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually, add 2 1/2 cups flour to make a medium dough.
- Place in a greased bowl and brush with melted butter.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until double in volume, about 3 hours.
- Use 1 cup or more flour to knead dough and roll into a 4-5 foot long rope.
- Form into an oval on a 14 x 17" greased baking sheet, connecting ends of the rope with a few drops of water to make a good seal.
- Press the doll, bean, or coin into the dough from the bottom.
- Cover dough ring with a damp cloth and let rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
- Brush with egg.
- Bake at 325° for 35 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and enough water to achieve desired consistency.
- Spread over cake.
- Sprinkle with alternating bands of colored sugar.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.