Homemade Blueberry Lemon Scones Recipe
For an easy breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea there’s nothing better than these delicious homemade blueberry lemon scones. Just top them with a little honey butter and enjoy.
I love scones but it’s so hard to find good scones, you know, the perfect lightly crisp crust with the perfect amount of coarse sugar and a pillowy, slightly crumbly interior without the hint of dryness.
Most store-bought scones are too dense and either overly sweet, dry, or just lacking in flavor.
Try these lemon blueberry scones they are amazing!
Homemade Blueberry Lemon Scones
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 c butter - extremely cold, (1 stick cut into cubes*
- 1 c blueberries - fresh or thawed frozen
- 1 t lemon zest
- 2/3 c buttermilk
- 1 large egg - beaten
- 1 t almond extract
- 2 T melted butter - for brushing
- 1 T coarse sugar - for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a large baking sheet with a double layer of parchment paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder together into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and salt to flour and baking powder mixture then whisk gently to combine all ingredients.
- Remove butter cubes from the fridge (or freezer) then cut the butter into the flour until crumbles are the size of peas, using a pastry blender or use your hands.
- In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, lightly beaten egg and almond extract.
- Make a well (a holin the center of the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk mixture.
- Mix with your hands until just combined. Overworking will make the dough tough.
- Gently fold blueberries and lemon zest into the batter.
- Flour your hands and shape scoops of dough into balls 2 1/2 in across balls.
- Place parchment covered baking sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Scones should have space or slightly touching.
- Let the scones barely touch each other. Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of milk. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Brush scones with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse or granulated sugar.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 25 minutes. Remember ovens temperatures vary so keep an eye on the scones. If using convection bake reduce time by 25%.
- Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
If you can't find coarse sugar, just use more granulated sugar on top before baking.
4 TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT SCONE
- Don’t Overwork the Dough. As soon as the flour mixture and butter are combined to pea size crumbles – STOP. As soon as the wet ingredients are combined – STOP.
- Sift the Flour and Baking Powder Together. This greatly improves the chances of getting the perfect rise from your scone dough.
- Keep the Butter Super Cold. To get the butter to cut in perfectly, it needs to be super cold. You’ll be working the butter with your hands and it will warm rapidly, so it is imperative that it be very cold when you start.
- Minimize Flour when Rolling out or Cutting the Dough. If you work on a floured surface use just a little flour or your dough will be heavier than desired.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker