California Style Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa are a healthy choice for Cinco de Mayo or any taco Tuesday.
Fish tacos always remind me of California beach days when little taco stands dotted the beach selling fresh fish tacos. Fish tacos were the perfect beach snack after a morning of sun and surfing.
Grab a Mexican beer or margarita and sit back, relax & enjoy!
Cinco de Mayo Fish Tacos
For the fish
- 1 1/2 lb boned and skinned red snapper cod or other flaky white fish - preferably fresh, but thawed frozen filets will work as well
- 8 corn tortillas
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- fresh cilantro - coarsely chopped
- smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- cayenne - optional
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 fresh limes - quartered
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Guacamole
- Fresh mango or pineapple salsa - recipe below
- Pico de Gallo
- Marinated Cabbage
Fresh Mango or Pineapple Salsa
- 1 1/2 cup mango, pineapple or both - diced and seeded
- 1/2 red bell pepper - seeded and diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper - seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup red cabbage - thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup green cabbage - thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onion - thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh jalapeño - minced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
For the fish:
- Start by rinsing the fish and then patting it dry.
- Place fish in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high (I like my grill between 400 - 450.)
- While the grill heats season the fish with lime juice and seasonings to taste. Go easy on the cayenne, even if you like heat - it can overpower the fish.
- I use a non-stick grill basket designed for fish. You can use any type of grill basket or in a pinch non-stick foil works. I've had some epic fails with grilling fish on the grates - it's just too delicate and tends to fall through.
- Place the fish on a hot grill, then close the lid and cook for about 6 minutes then flip and cook for another 6 minutes. If the fish is thin, check it at 3 minutes. Make sure to turn the fish just once.
- Remove to a platter and flake the fish into chunks. Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. serve warm.
- Warm the tortillas on the grill about 10-15 seconds per side - I like a little char on my tortillas.
- Wrap tortillas in foil to keep warm.
- Place a piece of fish on each tortilla and let guest garnish with the salsa(s) of their preference + marinated cabbage, fresh guacamole and sour cream.
For the Mango or Pineapple Salsa
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Serve fresh with fish tacos.
- To slice the cabbage and onion a mandolin works great because it gives thin and consistent slices. If you don't have one be sure to slice as thinly as possible. Then in a bowl mix all ingredients together and let sit for at least half an hour. This salsa is wet, so you can use a fork to serve, which allows the cabbage and onion to drain.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker