How to Make An Easy Ice Cream Sundae Bar
I scream, you scream, We all scream for ICE CREAM!
Create an ice cream sundae bar for your next party.
Ice cream sundae bars are perfect for kids (of all ages) birthday parties, a great way to finish a summer barbecue, a fun reason to get a group together for an afternoon ice cream social or a great dessert option for almost any occasion.
The Easy 15 Minute Ice Cream Sundae Bar Set-up
Toppings are where you and your guest can get really creative. The sky is the limit on the types of toppings, sauces and add-ins.
The ultimate ice cream sundae creation is just a few toppings away.
What you need for an Ice Cream Bar
Sundae Bar Checklist
Ice Cream Sundae Bar | Sauces
Serve the basics:
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream
Then add a fun flavor or 2 like:
- Chocolate Chip
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Orange Sherbert
Ice Cream Sundae Bar | Sauces
- Hot fudge
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Strawberry sauce
- Butterscotch sauce
- Whipped cream
Ice Cream Sundae Bar | Crunchy Toppings
- Brownie bits
- Oreo cookies
- Peanut butter cups
- Sprinkles ( or Jimmies for the Philly crowd)
- Your favorite candy bar crushed up – I love Butterfingers
- Slices of Snickers bars
- Gummy bears
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Reese’s Pieces
- Chopped candy bars
- Jelly beans
Ice Cream Sundae Bar | Better For You Toppings
- Coconut, shredded
- Candied Ginger
Ice Cream Sundae Bar | Nut Toppings
- Praline pecans
- Chocolate covered almonds
- Macadamia nuts
How to Set up a “Make Your Own” Ice Cream Bar
If you want to make make ice cream you should plan to make it the day before so it has plenty of time to set-up.
But this is such a fun party and the ice cream is just the excuse to make wild and wacky sundae creations so save the homemade ice cream for another occasion and just buy good quality ice cream. You’ll have more fun and no one will even think about where the ice cream came from.
Easy Steps to Set-up an Ice Cream Bar
- Figure out how much will feed your crowd with this rule of thumb:
- A quart container of ice cream yields about 8 scoops, 1/4 cup of sauce goes on each sundae, and everyone will want a big dollop of whipped dessert topping to finish it off.
- Choose 2 – 3 ice cream flavors, 2-3 sauces or syrups, and 3-5 add-in toppings.
- Pre-scoop the ice cream into cupcake liners.
- Place ice cream filled cupcake liners onto a sheet pan and place in the freezer. You can add ice cream layers by placing wax paper between layers. Keep the ice cream in the freezer until the last minute. Plan on two scoops per person.
- Keep your ice cream frozen on a hot day
- If you plan to serve outside you may want to place dry ice in a galvanized or copper tub and line with a plastic tablecloth. Then stack ice cream in the cupcake liners in the tub.
- Set out your toppings in little bowls, mason jars, or fancy glasses.
- I like to use plastic bowls from the dollars store if the party is outside or is primarily for children. Stemless wine glasses work well and martini glasses are fun if the party is for adults.
- Set out small bowls, plastic spoons and napkins.
Now it’s time to have fun! Who will make the ultimate ice cream sundae?
Ice Cream Sundae Bar | More Awesome (and super fun) Options
Ice Cream Sandwich Makings
Turn up the fun by offering a selection of cookies for making ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Floats
Set out some soda, cups and some straws on the table to create an ice cream float station.
- Vanilla Ice cream pairs well with the classics – Cherry soda, Coca-Cola, root beer, grape soda, and orange soda
- Chocolate ice cream pair well with – Cherry soda, Strawberry soda, Orange soda or Coca-Cola
Added Fun For Adults:
Adult Ice Cream Soda Bar
Grab some craft soda, like ginger beer, craft root beer, birch beer, flavored colas or sodas and serve with bourbon, rum, amaretto, or Kahlua.
Make a Mojito Ice Cream Float
Muddle mint in a glass, use vanilla ice cream, rum and top with Sprite or other lemon-lime soda.
Keep Bugs Away.
- Keep a bucket of soapy water and a bar towel to wipe up spills immediately.
- If you are serving outside, use one of these all-natural methods to keep bugs away.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker