Santa Maria is a little town just North of Santa Barbara on the South Central coast of California and they are famous for their Grilled Tri-Tip. This Easy Grilled Santa Maria Tri-Tip Steak is super simple and tasty and the rub is great on any type of meat. If you can’t find Tri-tip, you can substitute a sirloin roast. You can also try flank or skirt or London broil. You’ll need to adjust grilling times based on the thickness of the meat.
Traditionally this is served with corn tortillas, salsa, and beans or as a sandwich. We love it grilled and sliced, served with a baked potato. Leftovers make great tacos or steak sandwiches.
It’s very important to cut the tri-tip across the grain. Traeger Grills has a great tutorial for slicing a tri-tip correctly.
Grilled Santa Maria Tri-Tip Recipe
- 3 lbs beef tri-tip roast or 2 -3 lbs top sirloin roast
- 1 T black pepper - fresh ground
- 2 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 1/2 t smoked paprika
- 1 t chipotle
- 1 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 t fresh rosemary
- 1 t fine sea salt
- 1 T fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup cup olive oil
- Mix all the spices together to create a rub.
- Rub on the meat.
- Refrigerate covered for 4 - 6 hours. (I do this in the morning so that there is plenty of time for the rub to sit on the roast.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand for about an hour or until close to room temperature.
- Heat grill to high, at least 500 degrees F, with water soaked oak or mesquite wood chips in your smoker box or directly on coals if using charcoal, oak is preferred, if you can find it. Slowly pour oil into vinegar, whisking rapidly.
- Add meat to grill, brush with oil immediately, reduce grill temp to medium-high (about 400 degrees).
- Grill the meat over direct heat, medium-high for 15 minutes, turn and baste the meat every five minutes.
- Move meat to the center of the grill and turn down the center burner.
- Grill another 20 - 30 minutes using indirect heat minutes, to 135 degrees F for rare or 142 for medium rare. The steak will continue to cook during the resting period.
- Let rest, covered for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice across the grain (very important).
- For sandwiches or to serve with tortillas slice about 1/8" thick to serve as an entree cut to about 1/4" thick.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?