Easy DIY Hanging Shelf
Make Your Own Easy DIY Hanging Rope Shelf
This self is amazing! Our son-in-law made this awesome hanging shelf. He kindly agreed to share step-by-step instructions.
Grab your tool belt and let’s build a shelf.
This project cost about $30 and takes about 3 hours if you are a new DIYer or 1 1/2 hours if you have intermediate DIY skills.
Easy DIY Hanging Shelf Uses
This shelf will add extra space for displaying treasures or storing books or craft supplies.
Right now I’m looking around my house and thinking of all the ways I could use an easy DIY hanging shelf.
- Store craft supplies
- Display cookbooks
- Show-off all your treasures
- Use as a spice rack
- Store office supplies
- Hang above the toilet to store cosmetics and toiletries
- Hang next to bed for extra storage or to place lighting
Chief Mermaid & Mojito MakerThis is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun.
Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?
How to Make an Easy DIY Hanging Shelf
Make An Easy DIY Hanging Shelf in 3 Easy Steps
It’s amazing what you can create with a couple of hours and a few easy to use tools. Let’s get to work! Here’s a quick look at the process.
Grab your Supplies
Check out the supply list below.
Get to Work
Follow the step-by-step instructions detailed below and you’ll be using your new shelf in no time.
Start Using Your Shelf
Now it’s time to add your treasures or start storing all those things that don’t seem to have a place to go.
Easy to Follow Step-by-Step Instructions for Making An Easy DIY Hanging Shelf
Experience Tip: READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING. Before you get started, make sure you have everything you need to complete the project. This will save you time and frustration.
What you’ll need:
- A drill bit large enough to drill a hole for the size rope you’ve purchased
- 8 Screws to secure mending plate – make sure the screws are not longer than your board is thick.
- 2 Mending Plates (this is what the plates that connect the wood pieces together is really called)
- 2 Eye Hooks
- Three 1 x 6 or 2 x 6 boards cut to your desired length (Home Depot will cut your board to length when you buy them)
- White Wax for this driftwood/whitewashed finish or paint if you prefer.
- Rope or cord to hang the shelves
- Safety glasses or goggles
Easy to Follow Step-by-Step Instructions for Making An Easy DIY Hanging Shelf
Step 1 - Plan & Measure
- Experience Tip: Read all instructions before beginning. Make sure you have all your tools and materials assembled BEFORE you begin the project.
- Decide how wide you want your shelves.
- Have boards cut to length when you purchase the boards
- Determine how tall you want your shelving unit and where would you like the eye hook to be on the wall – there is no exact science to this it’s based on personal preference and how you plan to use the shelves.
- Once you decide where you’d like the eye hook, put a small mark on the wall and figure out where you’d like the first shelf to start and make a small mark on the wall.
- Decide how much space you’d like to have between the 2 shelves and mark the wall for the bottom shelf.
- Now measure from the mark for the eye hook to the mark for the bottom shelf. Write that measurement down for the next step.
- How to figure out how much rope you need – Once you have the measurements from the previous step multiply that number by 2 and add 36″ to allow for knots to determine the correct amount of rope to cut for each side.
- So if you want the self to hang 18 inches from the eye hook to the first shelf and you want an additional 18 inches between the shelves, you multiply 36 x 2 and add about 36 inches for knots and other allowances. In this example, you’ll need 2 pieces of rope 9 feet in length.
Step 2 - Get To Work Building Your Shelf
- Connect 2 of the boards together to make a double wide shelf for the bottom. (This is optional, the shelf will look just as beautiful if you have the same depth for each shelf. It all depends on your personal preference and/or storage needs.
- Optional: Chisel out the area where the mending bracket will connect the two pieces of wood so that it will be flush with the wood. This looks really nice but it will still look nice if you skip this step. If you decided to paint your shelves skip this step and just paint the brackets to match the shelf
- Finish your boards by either painting, staining or using white wax to create your driftwood finish, by lightly brushing the white wax over the board until you’ve created the desired look.
- Let boards dry to the touch.
- Mark your shelves for your holes. You should be 1 Inch in from each side on the 4 corners of each shelf.
- Drill the holes. The size of the drill bit will depend on the thicknes of the rope or cord you’ve chosen.
- Touch-up any finish or paint that may have been chipped while drilling and chiseling.
- Mark the wall for the eye hooks. The distance between your eye hooks should be 2 inches less than the width of your shelf. Make sure the eye hooks are hung level. Screw eye hooks into the wall. IMPORTANT – Use wall anchors or other type of anchor to make sure your shelf will be securely fastened to the wall.
- Wrap eye hooks with rope to create a finished look
- Thread the rope through the eye hook.
- Thread the rope through the top board through both front and back holes.
- Tie a knot at all 4 corners at the desired height.
- Put a level on the board and adjust knots until the board is level.
- Repeat with the lower board.
- You may want to double knot the bottom board, based on your personal preference.
- Stand back and make sure you are happy with the final result.
- If you like what you see, cut the rope, leaving about 1/1/2 inches hanging.
- Sit back and admire your handy work.
Step 3 - Style your Shelf
- Your shelf looks awesome! Now go ahead and post your first Instagram pick letting everyone know just how awesome you are at this DIY stuff.
- Gather all the treasure of items that need storing and style as desired. Post your next instagram photo.
- Finally grab a Mojito – You deserve it. Your shelf now looks amazing! Sit back and admire your new shelf, snap a few selfies with you a mojito and your shelf, post to Instagram and Facebook. You rock. I’m so proud of you.
DIY Hanging Shelf Final Results
Beautiful and Functional Easy DIY Hanging Shelf
With Just $30 and 2 hours you can Build this easy DIY Hanging Shelf
Simple & Easy - Countersink the Mending Plate if you are Staining or Distressing for a Perfectly Finished Look For Your Hanging Shelf
How The Money Was Spent
$10 - Boards
$20 - Rope and mending plates
Mending plates and screws will run you about $6.
$6 - White Wax
More Diy & Creat5
Try these Secret Hacks to Keep Your Backyard Bug Free. Your next backyard barbecue is guaranteed to be bug-free. Your guest will thank you.read more
Make Your Own Essential Oil Bug Repellent. No more dangerous chemicals, sticky sprays, and stinky bug spray. Try one of these recipes for Essential Oil Bug Repellent.read more
Learn how to clean a boat hull – the easy way. Here in Florida, our boats are always exposed to the elements and to keep it looking great you’ll need an easy way to clean the hull. If you leave your boat in for a couple of days you’ll notice it has a ring around the hull at the waterline. Here’s an easy way to clean the hull and remove that waterline.read more
Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floor Easy driftwood distressed hardwood floor tutorial Learn how to create beautiful, professional looking floors with this easy beachy distressed hardwood floor tutorial. I'll show you how to rescue old damaged hardwood floors and make...read more
Create Your Dream Master Bedroom for under $400. This easy DIY project will take your masterberoom from blah and booring to wow.read more
I love my kitchen…
But that wasn’t always the case. Take a look at how our kitchen looked when we moved in.
< Eat < Drink < Part- <
Grilled Mexican Street Corn and Black Bean Salsa is the perfect warm salsa to serve tacos, enchiladas, and your favorite nacho recipe.
Spicy Mango Salsa Recipe is the perfect compliment to fresh seafood, chicken, and pork. Mango salsa makes an awesome fish taco.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Mexican Chicken is the perfect filling for tacos, enchiladas, and burritos. Super easy to make – just set it in the morning and you’ll have tender shredded chicken for dinner.
Celebrate Cinco De Mayo with 21 Easy Mexican recipes. Plan a party featuring easy Mexican food recipes and the perfect margaritas recipe.
Tequila Mockingbird – Spicy Tequila Cocktail. Muddled watermelon and fresh jalapeno with tequila is the perfect balance of spicy and sweet.
Vampiro Tequila Cocktail with Jalisco Sangrita. This spicy tequila cocktail mixed with a traditional Jalisco Sangrita. Sangrita’s are my new cocktail obsession. Sangrita or “little blood” has traditionally been served as a chaser for excellent quality tequila. It would have been a mixture of fruit juices and finely ground chili pepper. Many sangrita recipes call for tomato juice, but that would not have been part of the traditional recipe, the original recipe would have been made from leftover juice from fresh fruit salads and changed based on the fruits used.
Today’s cocktail culture is creating very intriguing sangritas as an ingredient in some pretty amazing tequila cocktails. This recipe calls for a combination of grapefruit, orange, and lime with a touch of spicy jalapeno pepper.
Celebrate mom with one of these amazing and super easy Mother’s Day Menus. Everything from a simple and elegant Mother’s Day brunch to an extravagant dinner feast and a backyard barbeque or a happy-go-lucky Mother’s Day picnic. There is definitely a menu plan for your lifestyle – all super easy and totally stress-free.
Spicy Blackberry Bourbon Grilled Chicken Skewers is an easy appetizer or main dish for your next backyard barbecue. The tartness of blackberries combined with the smoky bourbon and a touch of honey makes these chicken skewers irresistible.
Celebrate Mom with a fabulous Mother’s Day Brunch. This menu is the perfect way to enjoy a day with your mom. Happy Mother’s Day
Sheet Pan-Roasted Root Vegetables pair perfectly with grilled or slow-cooked meats, BBQ chicken, and roast pork.
Diy & Creative Philosoph-
One of my passions is creating a home that is comfortable and inviting. My Husband and I have done enough DIY renovations now to know how to keep it stress-free (mostly) and easy to accomplish. I’ll share my tips and tricks for designing on a budget – by updating, repurposing, and making over items you already have or can pick-up cheap. + I’m doing some cool stuff with clothes to update my summer wardrobe. Let’s create something! Kelly
Chief Mermaid & Mojito MakerThis is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?
“Dive deep for the treasure that you see!”