Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floor
Easy driftwood distressed hardwood floor tutorial
Learn how to create beautiful, professional looking floors with this easy beachy distressed hardwood floor tutorial. I’ll show you how to rescue old damaged hardwood floors and make them look amazing.
This project cost about $500 to refinish 1000 sf of hardwood floors.
Let’s get to work creating easy beachy distressed hardwood floors.
I love my beachy distressed hardwood floors…So do my dogs.
Our lifestyle is super casual and active. We needed flooring that would stand up to 2 dogs. lots of people in and out in wet bathing suits and sandy feet. This was the perfect option. It actually gets better with age. I love it today as much as I did the day we refinished it. The beachy distressed hardwood floor is absolutely the perfect floor for our busy lifestyle.
We found hardwood floors under the carpet in the living area and under the vinyl flooring in the kitchen.
We had hoped to find Terrazzo, there was Terrazzo under the prefinished hardwood floors, unfortunately, the Terrazzo was too far gone to be rescued. But I was definitely rescuing the hardwood. That’s when I came up with the idea to create beachy distressed hardwood floors.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?
Floors in Kitchen Before
I’m not a big fan of vinyl flooring and it’s a crime to cover, even damaged hardwood floors with pretty much anything. It had been laid to cover some modest water damage under the refrigerator. The perfect solution was to sand the floors and use a dry brush technique to create beachy distressed hardwood floors
Floors in Kitchen After
I love how the kitchen turned out. See how we transformed our nightmare kitchen into our dream kitchen for $2600.
Easy Beachy Hardwood Floor Makeover
How to create beachy distressed hardwood floors
Vinyl flooring over hardwood floors...
The only solution was to create a unique distressed finish – The perfect solution was to sand the floors and use a dry brush technique to create beachy distressed hardwood floors.
Experience Tip: The floors should have been done before we reset the cabinets.
Prefinished Hardwood floors were hidden under carpet throughout the entire house.
Ugly Beige Carpet covered all the hardwood floors in the house
Fortunately, I was able to convince my husband to paint, using a bright and happy color palette.
Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floor Inspiration
I got to work rescuing the hardwoods floor – which we discovered were installed throughout the house – score! In some places, the wood was pretty damaged so I came up with a distressed finish we could use throughout the house… It looks awesome and any wear is super easy to fix with a quick dry brush and a little bit of furniture wax.
Inspiration for floors
More Beach Distressed Floor Inspiration
Create the Beachy Distressed hardwood Floor Look in 3 (relatively) Easy Steps
It’s amazing what a little bit of paint and some sweat equity can create. Let’s Get to work! Take a quick look at the process.
Grab your Sanders
Dry Brush with at Least 2 Colors
Protect the Finish
Get Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floors for under $500.
How The Money Was Spent
$200 - Industrial sanding machine rental & sanding pads
$90 - Belt sander, vinyl glue remover, and knee pads
$120 - Paint and Sealer
How to create beachy distressed hard wood floors and get lasting results
Ok. Here’s the deal. The first step, sanding, is the hard part, I tried renting an industrial sander and it didn’t make a dent in the factory finish on the floors. I had good success using a sheet sander on the floors in the kitchen to get rid of the vinyl flooring adhesive. So I got a handheld belt sander for Mother Day and got down to business sanding the floors in the living area. I had to be careful not to sand too much since these were not solid wood, but there was enough wood to be able to get to bare wood.
Once I had bare wood I worked in sections with one color at a time to dry brush the floors with white and grey paint, alternating brush widths so nothing looked too uniform. In some areas, I went heavier with the paint than others so I would get a naturally distressed look. In areas of the floor that were damaged I let them be part of the distressed look. Once the entire floor was dry brushed with both colors. I went back over the floor with a dry brush just to make sure the everything looked blended and was just what I wanted.
Easy to Follow Step-by-Step Instructions for Dry Brushing Hardwood Floors for a beachy effect
Foolproof process for dry brushing your floors to get a beachy distressed look for your hardwood floors – this has been very effective in giving me beautiful, long-lasting results.
Experience Tip: Before you get started, make sure you know what kind of hardwood floors you are working with. Are they solid wood, or are do they have thin veneers of wood. You can refinish either, but you’ll need to be more careful sanding the wood with thin veneers.
What you’ll need:
- Belt sander
- Painters mask
- Safety glasses or goggles
- 2″, 3″, & 4″paint brushes
- semi-gloss white paint
- semi-gloss light grey paint
- Stain pad with long handle
- Paint tray
- Wide painters tape
- Cardboard or craft paper to keep your brush dry
- Benjamin Moore, Stays Clear® – DO NOT SUBSTITUTE – this is very important, other protective finishes can yellow or change the color. This product will not do that. This is a fav product I use it for everything that needs a hard protective finish. I used the Low Lustre but gloss would be fine here as well.
Step 1 - Room Prep
- Experience Tip: If you are painting your walls with this makeover. Make sure you paint your walls first. Your new floors will look so amazing you won’t want to spill any paint on them.
- Tape all baseboard with wide painters tape.
Step 2 - Dry Brush the floors
- Pour your first paint color into a small clean paint tray.
- Using a 2″ paintbrush dry brush along the baseboard first. Experience Tip: Take your time now it will make everything go faster in the long run. wrap your brush in plastic and store in the fridge, since you’ll use it again for a quick 2nd coat.
- Work in 3 or 4-foot sections using 1 color at a time, and alternating brush widths until the room is completely dry brushed.
- Experience Tip: Don’t over think this, be creative and have fun, it’s just paint, and any mistake can either be corrected or you may decide you like the way the mistake looks.
- Keep your brush fairly dry, keeping just the tip of the brush wet, remove any excess paint by brushing on cardboard or craft paper.
- Experience Tip: It’s better to come back and do a quick 2nd or 3rd coat instead of getting heavy layers of paint.
- Once the first color is done you can begin the same process with your other color choice immediately since the paint is going on very dry.
- Experience Tip: wrap your paint brush in a plastic garbage bag or ziplock and store in the fridge, since you’ll use it again for a quick 2nd coat.
- So what do you think? Do you need more paint in some areas? If so, grab your brush and using your dry brush technique, quickly add extra color where you need it.
- Do you have too much paint in a couple of spots? You can grab some sandpaper and sand down any spots that have too much paint.
- Once it looks amazing and it has completely dried then it’s time to seal the deal or in this case seal your floors. For this step, we will be using the Stay Clear™ from Benjamin Moore.
Step 3 - Seal Floor with Stay Clear™
- Your floor looks awesome! Now we want to make sure it stays looking this good for a long time to come. For this step, we will be using the Stay Clear™ from Benjamin Moore.
- EXPERIENCE TIP: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS & DO NOT SHAKE THE STAY CLEAR™, STIR IT GENTLY. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO FINISH A COAT – TO GET THE BEST RESULT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO THIS WITHOUT INTERRUPTION. Gently pour the Stay Clear into a clean paint tray and using a new 2″ brush cut in at baseboards.
- Then using a stain pad on a long handle, starting in the furthest corner and working back toward your escape route, begin painting thin even coats making sure to overlap edges and to always keep a wet edge. Wrap your roller in plastic and store in the fridge, you’ll need it for a 2nd coat.
- Let dry until no longer tacky – it dries quickly.
- Once dry, apply the second coat – you shouldn’t need to cut-in a second time but you should judge that for yourself.
- Grab a Mojito – You deserve it. Your floor now looks amazing! Sit back and admire your new floor, snap a few pics, post to Instagram and Facebook. You rock. I’m so proud of you.
Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floors
: The Final Resul) :
Beachy Distressed Floors In Progress
Sanding in Progress
Finished Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floors Compared to original inspiration
My Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floors
The Original Beachy Distressed hardwood Inspiration
Beachy Distressed Hardwood Floors 3 1/2 years Later
The floors have aged extremely well. I love them today as much as I did when I first refinished them. It’s super easy to fix any scratch or ding that happens with a quick swipe of a dry brush and a little paste wax. The floor is as good as new.
The Latest Mermaid Tale(
Live More. Stress Less. Spend Better.
Comfortable & Casual with a Coastal Twist.
More Diy & Creat5
Learn how to make an easy DIY picket fence Coastal Directional Sign. These look so cool and are so easy to make + lots of uses.
Want a Bug-free Backyard? Try these Secret Hacks to Keep Bugs Away Outdoors. Your next backyard barbecue is guaranteed to be bug-free. Your guests will thank you.
Make Your Own Essential Oil Bug Repellent. No more dangerous chemicals, sticky sprays, and stinky bug spray. Try one of these recipes for Essential Oil Bug Repellent.
Learn how to clean a boat hull – the easy way. Here in Florida, our boats are always exposed to the elements and to keep it looking great you’ll need an easy way to clean the hull. If you leave your boat in for a couple of days you’ll notice it has a ring around the hull at the waterline. Here’s an easy way to clean the hull and remove that waterline.
For about $30 and a couple of hours, you can build this easy DIY hanging rope shelf. A super cute DIY shelf that fits into any coastal or rustic decor.
Create Your Dream Master Bedroom for under $400. This easy DIY project will take your masterberoom from blah and booring to wow.
I love my kitchen…
But that wasn’t always the case. Take a look at how our kitchen looked when we moved in.
< Eat < Drink < Part- <
Labor Day Recipes for a fun and festive Labor Day party or barbecue. Labor Day recipes, menus and tips to throw the perfect Labor Day party.
Learn how to make a Mediterranean Crudités and Tapas platter. Beautiful, tasty and a satisfying appetizer that will wow guests.
Authentic Greek Souvlaki skewers is a super easy and tasty greek kabob with tender grilled meat marinated in a lemony olive oil mixture.
Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce is the perfect dip for a veggie tray or as an accompinament to chicken Souvlaki (chicken skewers). This lemony cucumber and greek yogurt sauce is so easy to make and very tasty. Try it as a side...
Learn How to Make Creative Crudités Platters. Forget the sad vegetable platters from the grocery, these Crudités Platters will wow guests.
Learn how to make an Easy Ice Cream Sundae Bar. A great way to finish off a party or BBQ. Ice cream sundae bars are a fun way to let guests make their own ice cream sundae creations.
Here are 25 of the best hot dog recipes – ever. Hot dogs are a quintessential American backyard grilling fav and one of my all-time favorite go-to for an easy cookout for a crowd.
Taco Nacho Cheese Hot Dog combines all the things you love about nachos and tops a beef hot dog with melty cheese sauce and tortilla chips.
Sometimes there’s just nothing better than a classic chili hot dog. Make a batch of homemade slow cooker chili to top your chili dog.
Buffalo Sauced Hot Dog with Blue Cheese and shaved celery combines all the flavors of our favorite buffalo wings into an awesome hot dog.
Diy & Creative Philosoph-
One of my passions is creating a home that is comfortable and inviting. My Husband and I have done enough DIY renovations now to know how to keep it stress-free (mostly) and easy to accomplish. I’ll share my tips and tricks for designing on a budget – by updating, repurposing, and making over items you already have or can pick-up cheap. + I’m doing some cool stuff with clothes to update my summer wardrobe. Let’s create something! Kelly
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
“Dive deep for the treasure that you see!”