I love a good burger but sometimes it’s fun to mix it up and serve an unexpected burger like my Don’t be Crabby Burger – crab cake sandwich recipe. The combination of rich crab meat with melted brie and a spicy pineapple slaw is the perfect tropical vacation as close as your backyard.
Don't' Be Crabby Burger | Crab Cake Sandwich
Make it easy on yourself. Your guests are way more interested in spending time with you than getting a gourmet meal. It's a backyard BBQ, kick your shoes off grab a cocktail and relax. Enjoy!
For Crab Cakes
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked crabmeat*
- 6 t mayonnaise
- 1 t Creole-style mustard - like Zatarain's Creole Mustard you can substitute stone ground or country dijon with a pinch of creole seasoning or hot sauce if you can't find Creole mustard.
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 green onions - finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- 2 t canola oil
- Lemon wedges
- 8 thick slices of Maui or Vidalia onions
- 6 oz. brie - rind removed
- 8 Hawaiian rolls
For Pineapple Jalapeno Slaw:
- 6 oz package angel hair slaw
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- 1 fresh jalapeños - seeded and finely chopped (use less if you want less spice)
- ½ t granulated sugar
- 1/2 t of fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple - chopped into small pieces
- 1 T cilantro - finely chopped
For Crab Cakes
- Wash your hands really good - the only way to work with crab is with your hands.
- Put the crab meat in a large mixing bowl, using your fingers break any large pieces and remove any bits of shell you find.
- In another bowl mix mayonnaise, mustard, 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, parsley, green onions, red bell pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Carefully fold crab meat to combine.**
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and carefully fold to combine.
- To form crab cakes, on a parchment paper lined tray, and using a cookie cutter (I think mine is 3 1/2 or 4 inches) fill cookie cuter with about 1/3 cup of crab meat and lightly press. Carefully lift cutter off. repeat with remaining crab mixture, You should get 8 crab cakes.
- Cover tray with plastic wrap, press lightly and chill at least 30 minutes up to an hour.
- This is a great time to make the slaw.
- Preheat grill to 350 - 400 degrees F.
- Brush Vidalia or Maui onions with EVOO and grill on grates, covered with stick-resistant tin foil for 3 -4 minutes, each side.
- Remove rind from brie (this is easiest if the brie has been placed in the freezer for 30 minutes or an hour in advance)
- Place remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Lightly dredge both sides of 8 cakes in bread crumbs and add to hot skillet.
- Press lightly with a spatula and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a sheet pan lined with stick resistant tin foil.
- Repeat with remaining cakes, adding more oil, if necessary.
- Squeeze lemon over each cake and sprinkle with paprika.
- Slide crab cakes on the foil off baking sheet onto the grill grates and grill for about five 4 minutes.
- Top crab cakes with thin slices of brie cook for an additional minute until brie begins to melt
- Lightly toast Hawaiian Rolls on the grill.
- Place Pineapple Jalapeno Slaw on the bottom half of bun
- Next, place a slice of grilled Maui onion on top of slaw
- Top slaw with a brie-covered crab cake. Top with bun and it's time to eat.
Pineapple Jalapeno Slaw
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and salt until thoroughly combined
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage, jalapeno, and cilantro
- Add yogurt mixture to cabbage mixture and carefully toss to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Mexican independence with a south of the border inspired Mexican Fiesta.
Cinco de Mayo Cocktails – 21 Mexican Cocktails to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Margaritas, Palomas and more. Tequila tasting bar.
Spicy Orange Muddled Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling the fruit all the flavor of both the juice and the zest.
Spicy Classic Margarita turns up the heat with a slice of jalapeno and paired with a sweet heat rim of sugar and chipotle chili.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?