I love a good burger but sometimes it’s fun to mix it up and serve an unexpected burger like my Don’t be Crabby Burger – crab cake sandwich recipe. The combination of rich crab meat with melted brie and a spicy pineapple slaw is the perfect tropical vacation as close as your backyard.
Don't' Be Crabby Burger | Crab Cake Sandwich
Make it easy on yourself. Your guests are way more interested in spending time with you than getting a gourmet meal. It's a backyard BBQ, kick your shoes off grab a cocktail and relax. Enjoy!
For Crab Cakes
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked crabmeat*
- 6 t mayonnaise
- 1 t Creole-style mustard - like Zatarain's Creole Mustard you can substitute stone ground or country dijon with a pinch of creole seasoning or hot sauce if you can't find Creole mustard.
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 green onions - finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs - lightly beaten
- 2 t canola oil
- Lemon wedges
- 8 thick slices of Maui or Vidalia onions
- 6 oz. brie - rind removed
- 8 Hawaiian rolls
For Pineapple Jalapeno Slaw:
- 6 oz package angel hair slaw
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 T white wine vinegar
- 1 fresh jalapeños - seeded and finely chopped (use less if you want less spice)
- ½ t granulated sugar
- 1/2 t of fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple - chopped into small pieces
- 1 T cilantro - finely chopped
For Crab Cakes
- Wash your hands really good - the only way to work with crab is with your hands.
- Put the crab meat in a large mixing bowl, using your fingers break any large pieces and remove any bits of shell you find.
- In another bowl mix mayonnaise, mustard, 1/4 cup of the breadcrumbs, parsley, green onions, red bell pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Carefully fold crab meat to combine.**
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and carefully fold to combine.
- To form crab cakes, on a parchment paper lined tray, and using a cookie cutter (I think mine is 3 1/2 or 4 inches) fill cookie cuter with about 1/3 cup of crab meat and lightly press. Carefully lift cutter off. repeat with remaining crab mixture, You should get 8 crab cakes.
- Cover tray with plastic wrap, press lightly and chill at least 30 minutes up to an hour.
- This is a great time to make the slaw.
- Preheat grill to 350 - 400 degrees F.
- Brush Vidalia or Maui onions with EVOO and grill on grates, covered with stick-resistant tin foil for 3 -4 minutes, each side.
- Remove rind from brie (this is easiest if the brie has been placed in the freezer for 30 minutes or an hour in advance)
- Place remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Lightly dredge both sides of 8 cakes in bread crumbs and add to hot skillet.
- Press lightly with a spatula and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a sheet pan lined with stick resistant tin foil.
- Repeat with remaining cakes, adding more oil, if necessary.
- Squeeze lemon over each cake and sprinkle with paprika.
- Slide crab cakes on the foil off baking sheet onto the grill grates and grill for about five 4 minutes.
- Top crab cakes with thin slices of brie cook for an additional minute until brie begins to melt
- Lightly toast Hawaiian Rolls on the grill.
- Place Pineapple Jalapeno Slaw on the bottom half of bun
- Next, place a slice of grilled Maui onion on top of slaw
- Top slaw with a brie-covered crab cake. Top with bun and it's time to eat.
Pineapple Jalapeno Slaw
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and salt until thoroughly combined
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage, jalapeno, and cilantro
- Add yogurt mixture to cabbage mixture and carefully toss to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?