Classic Steak au Poivre Recipe
Classic Steak Au Poivre | Cracked Pepper Crusted Steak with Cognac Sauce is a French classic. It is an elegant and delicious dish perfect for any special occasion.
This was one of the first dishes I learned to make. It was my favorite dish from my favorite 80’s restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida — The Flambe Room.
My mom wasn’t a great cook and I never really learned to cook. So while I was still in college Maria and Nunzio taught me to cook – not your typical everyday fare, but French and Italian classics, like steak au poivre, steak Diane, fettucini alfredo and other flambéed favorites.
If it could be flambéed I learned to cook it. Today I use a lot less butter and cream when I cook but I still love to dust off these classic recipes and make them for special occasions.
Serve with potatoes au gratin and a simple green salad.
Steak Au Poivre | Cracked Pepper Crusted Steak with Cognac Sauce
- 24 oz Filet Mignon - (4) 6 oz filets
- 3 T mixed peppercorns - whole
- 2 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/3 cup cognac
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- Wrap peppercorns in a clean tea towel and crush with a meat mallet or flat bottom skillet or other heavy object that will crack the peppercorns. (Don't grind the pepper it needs to be cracked).
- Liberally salt both sides of the filets.
- Put 1/2 the pepper on a plate in a single layer. Place filets on top of pepper and press filets into the pepper to crust. Remove filets and add remaining pepper and repeat the process on the other side of the steaks.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, increase temperature to medium-high and add the filets and sear. Cook 3 minutes for medium rare or 4 minutes for medium.
- Remove from heat. Add cognac to hot pan, then carefully ignite with a long-handled match. (DO NOT ignite the cognac near the open flame of your gas stove top. Keep a lid handy in the event you need to extinguish the flame.)
- Allow alcohol to burn off, about 1 minute. Return to medium-high heat, then add beef stock. Cook 1 minute.
- Remove filets and place on a warm plate then cover with foil.
- Continue cooking until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- Add cream and Dijon mustard. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, 3–5 minutes.
- Add Steaks to cognac sauce and heat for 1 minute.
- Plate, spooning sauce over filet and serve hot.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker