Classic New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding Recipe
Bread Pudding is one of my absolute favorite desserts. This New Orleans-style bread pudding is so easy to make and always so good.
Try serving this with a Bourbon Caramel Sauce.
New Orleans Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 14 cups bread, day old - french or brioche
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 pint milk
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 t unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t fresh gated nutmeg
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 T cornstarch
- 3/4 cup bourbon or other whiskey
- pinch of salt
- 2 T unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 4-quart (9"x13")baking dish with butter.
- Cut bread into 2-inch cubes and place in prepared 4-quart baking dish.
- Place cream and milk in a saucepan; bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Place all remaining ingredients in large bowl; stir to blend. Stir in milk mixture and pour over bread.
- Let mixture sit in a cool location for 20 minutes, in a warm humid environment (like here in Florida) you may want to refrigerate while the bread soaks up the liquid, then let it sit out for about 5 minutes before cooking.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and the center of the bread pudding custard is firm and set. Keep an eye on the pudding and cover with foil if the top begins to brown too quickly.
- Serve warm with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- In a 1-quart saucepan combine the cream, milk, and sugar and heat on medium high.
- In a small mixing bowl place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the bourbon and whisk to blend. Making sure it is smooth.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the cream mixture and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture begins to boil reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the burner and swirl in butter, a pinch of salt and the remaining 1/2 cup of Bourbon. Stir to combine. Keep warm.
- Serve warm.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker