Once you’ve tried this citrus brined recipe you’ll never roast a turkey in tehoven again. The brine keeps your turkey moist and delicious. Plus, if you are like me you have lots of other dishes that need the oven space, with the turkey on the grill you now have your oven for all the other yummy side dishes.
Citrus Brined Turkey
- 1 /4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt - use only half this amount if you are on a salt-reduced diet
- 750 ml bottle of fruity white wine
- 4 quarts water or water to cover
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 heads of garlic broken into cloves and peeled
- 1 lemon juice of 1 lemon
- 2 limes juice of 2 limes
- 2 oranges juice of 2 navel oranges
- 2 lemons sliced into rounds
- 2 limes sliced into rounds
- 1 orange sliced into rounds
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch bunch poultry herbs - can be purchased in the produce section in most grocery stores
- 7-8 lbs turkey breast - gizzards removed, washed with cold water and patted dry
- 1 apple baking apple cut into chunks
- 1 pineapple pineapple cut into chunks
- Mix all brine ingredients, (except turkey, poultry herbs and wood chips), in a large pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook over high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately turn off heat and cover pot.
- Let cool to room temperature. DO NOT add turkey until brine has cooled completely. you can speed up the process by using less water and then adding ice at the end.
- Add turkey.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least 12 hours) in the refrigerator, or a cooler full of ice turning turkey a couple of times to ensure all areas have been submerged. Remove bird from marinade and pat dry.
- Preheat gas barbecue to med-high. Once it reaches about 400 degrees turn center burner off and side burners to low.
- Carefully lift skin away from breast and place herb bundle under skin in a thin layer to cover the entire breast.
- Stuff under turkey breast with apple and pineapple.
- Place turkey in an aluminum pan with the garlic cloves, lemon, lime and orange slices
- Place turkey on the grill in an aluminum roasting pan and cover with foil for 40 minutes. Remove foil cover.
- cook for an additional 40 minutes, if the skin is browning too fast cover with foil.
- Cook completely - a meat thermometer should read 165 degrees. Allow turkey to rest 15 minutes before carving.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?