Cioppino – San Francisco Italian Fisherman’s Stew Recipe
Cioppino – San Francisco Italian Fisherman’s Stew is filled with fish and shellfish in a tasty Italian tomato broth. Serve with warm bread.
Cioppino is a hearty stew traditionally made from the catch of the day. Authentic San Francisco Cioppino would include Dungeness crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, mussels, and fish. Use your favorite combination of fresh fish and shellfish and buy what is available fresh from your local fish market.
Cioppino - San Francisco Italian Fisherman's Stew
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 onion - chopped
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 T red pepper flakes - adjust for spiciness
- 1/4 t dried basil
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes - 1 can or 4 or five fresh Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine - chardonnay, pinot grigio, etc
- 50 live clams - washed
- 2 lbs live mussels
- 2 lb raw wild shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 2 lb Dungeness or snow crab legs - cut at each joint (optional)
- 6 small lobster tails
- 1 1/2 lb firm white fish - halibut, snapper, mahi-mahi, cut into bite-sized chunks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat, add the onion and sauté until softened and translucent, stirring occasionally about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, thyme, and bay leaves; sauté until the garlic is aromatic and golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and clam juice; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med/low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook another 10 minutes. Add the clams and mussels. Simmer and covered, until the clams and mussels have started to open, about 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and crab legs. Carefully add fish pieces, do not stir, cover cook until the shrimp and fish are opaque and the clams mussels are fully opened, about 4 -5 minutes Taste for salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley.
- Add the clams and mussels. Simmer and covered, until the clams and mussels have started to open, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp and crab legs.
- Carefully add fish pieces, do not stir, cover cook until the shrimp and fish are opaque and the clams mussels are fully opened, about 4 -5 minutes
- Taste and add salt and pepper as need, and garnish with parsley.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?