Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good you’ll be tempted to eat it with a spoon – no judgments here…
I love anything on a skewer. There’s just something fun about eating something cooked on a stick.
Chicken satay is marinated in coconut milk with lots of exotic spices, then grilled to perfection. Then served with the best ever peanut sauce – a spicy crunchy peanut butter sauce – nothing better.
The Chicken satay with crunchy peanut sauce gets its fabulous color from yellow curry powder and turmeric.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce. The perfect no-fuss appetizer
Serve it with a salad and make it a meal. The chicken needs to marinate for an hour or two, but the marinade is super simple to make and you can whip it up in about 5 minutes. So pop the chicken in the marinade in the morning and it will be ready for the barbecue by dinner time.
I promise you won’t be sorry, the marinade makes the chicken super flavorful + keeps it from drying out and tasting like cardboard.
Cooking Tips – Chicken Satay with crunchy peanut sauce.
Don’t over marinate the chicken, it will change the consistency of the meat. Ever had chicken that was kind of mushy – over marinating. You can safely marinate the chicken for a max of 12 hours, so don’t put the chicken in the marinade overnight if you don’t plan on cooking until the following evening – 24 hours is too long.
Makes sure to soak wood skewers in water for at least an hour or they will catch fire and burn – then you won’t have chicken on a stick.
You want to get a nice char on the chicken to get that smokey flavor, just be careful not to burn it. It’s a delicate balance.
If you like a little bit of spice add a dash or 2 of red pepper flakes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Wood or metal skewers
Crunchy Peanut Sauce
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Vidalia or Maui onion - or another sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lite soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- Top with:
- 2 tbsp. crushed peanuts
- 1/4 C coconut milk
- 2 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2.5 t yellow curry powder
- 1.5 t turmeric
- 3 clove garlic - minced
- 1 T freshly grated ginger
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T fish sauce - it won't taste fishy but it can be omitted
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs) - cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 T peanut oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Prepare Wood Skewers
- If you are using wood skewers soak them for at least an hour.
Crunchy Peanut Sauce
- Sauté onion and garlic in peanut oil for 5 to 10 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool slightly and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Set aside until chicken is ready.
- Top with crushed peanuts.
- Cut chicken into 2-inch strips.
- Combine all ingredients listed under the chicken satay section except for the peanut oil in a large mixing bowl
- Add chicken, cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least an hour, but no longer than 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Discard the marinade to prevent food poisoning.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to med-high heat.
- Thread chicken onto skewers. Brush with peanut oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place skewers on the grill, and cook, turning twice until the chicken is completely cooked and no pink remains. I like to get a little char on the chicken before I consider it done. The chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Cooking time should be about 10 - 15 minutes
- Serve immediately with crunchy peanut sauce. Top with crushed peanuts.
Make it a Meal
More You Might Like…
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Try this Spicy Italian Calzone Pizza Hot Dog Recipe. A hot dog wrapped in pepperoni, pizza sauce, and pizza dough. Fun for kids and so good.
Easy Slow Cooker Chili Recipe is the perfect chili recipe for busy people. Super easy to make, just set-it and forget-it. Super tasty.
This Budget Friendly Chili Seasoning Spice Mix is the perfect chili spice blend to have on hand to quickly make tacos or chili. When you make your own spice blends, you can save a bunch of money buying frequently used spices in bulk and you’ll be able to control the level of spiciness and the spice balance to your preference. Bonus – no chemical additives, preservatives or flavors enhancers, so it better for you and the family.
This fast and easy Black Bean Chili is the perfect healthy comfort food and is so fast, easy and tasty you can serve this any night.
Fun and festive 4th of July Party Recipes and barbecue recipes to help celebrate Independence Day. Everything to throw the perfect party.
Learn the secret hacks that will help you grill the perfect hot dog. Step-up your grilling game by following these tips.
Coconut Vodka Martini | Tropical Storm Warning Martini is the perfect martini for summer sipping. Perfect by the pool or sneak a thermos full to the beach. Simple, easy and elegant. Cheers!
Put the Lime in The Coconut Cocktail is the perfect summer poolside sipper. Filled with yummy coconut vodka, pineapple, and blue curacao for the most amazing turquoise blue color.
17 Awesome Father’s Day Menus filled with all the man food your dad craves. Celebrate dad with these super easy Father’s Day Menu Ideas.
This easy cheesy Huevos Rancheros Casserole is the dish perfect to feed a crowd for breakfast or brunch. Filled with spicy, cheesy veggies this Huevos Rancheros bake will be a hit at your next brunch. Serve with Bloody Maria Sangrita or Palomas.
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker