Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good you’ll be tempted to eat it with a spoon – no judgments here…
I love anything on a skewer. There’s just something fun about eating something cooked on a stick.
Chicken satay is marinated in coconut milk with lots of exotic spices, then grilled to perfection. Then served with the best ever peanut sauce – a spicy crunchy peanut butter sauce – nothing better.
The Chicken satay with crunchy peanut sauce gets its fabulous color from yellow curry powder and turmeric.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce. The perfect no-fuss appetizer
Serve it with a salad and make it a meal. The chicken needs to marinate for an hour or two, but the marinade is super simple to make and you can whip it up in about 5 minutes. So pop the chicken in the marinade in the morning and it will be ready for the barbecue by dinner time.
I promise you won’t be sorry, the marinade makes the chicken super flavorful + keeps it from drying out and tasting like cardboard.
Cooking Tips – Chicken Satay with crunchy peanut sauce.
Don’t over marinate the chicken, it will change the consistency of the meat. Ever had chicken that was kind of mushy – over marinating. You can safely marinate the chicken for a max of 12 hours, so don’t put the chicken in the marinade overnight if you don’t plan on cooking until the following evening – 24 hours is too long.
Makes sure to soak wood skewers in water for at least an hour or they will catch fire and burn – then you won’t have chicken on a stick.
You want to get a nice char on the chicken to get that smokey flavor, just be careful not to burn it. It’s a delicate balance.
If you like a little bit of spice add a dash or 2 of red pepper flakes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Wood or metal skewers
Crunchy Peanut Sauce
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Vidalia or Maui onion - or another sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lite soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- Top with:
- 2 tbsp. crushed peanuts
- 1/4 C coconut milk
- 2 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2.5 t yellow curry powder
- 1.5 t turmeric
- 3 clove garlic - minced
- 1 T freshly grated ginger
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T fish sauce - it won't taste fishy but it can be omitted
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs) - cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 T peanut oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Prepare Wood Skewers
- If you are using wood skewers soak them for at least an hour.
Crunchy Peanut Sauce
- Sauté onion and garlic in peanut oil for 5 to 10 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool slightly and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Set aside until chicken is ready.
- Top with crushed peanuts.
- Cut chicken into 2-inch strips.
- Combine all ingredients listed under the chicken satay section except for the peanut oil in a large mixing bowl
- Add chicken, cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least an hour, but no longer than 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Discard the marinade to prevent food poisoning.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to med-high heat.
- Thread chicken onto skewers. Brush with peanut oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place skewers on the grill, and cook, turning twice until the chicken is completely cooked and no pink remains. I like to get a little char on the chicken before I consider it done. The chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Cooking time should be about 10 - 15 minutes
- Serve immediately with crunchy peanut sauce. Top with crushed peanuts.
Make it a Meal
More You Might Like…
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Irish Eyes will be smiling with these easy St. Patrick’s Day recipes. 21 easy recipes to host a stress-free St. Patrick’s day party.
Learn how to make Irish Coffee
An Irish coffee cocktail is a mixture of brown sugar-sweetened coffee, Irish whiskey, and topped with whipped cream.
This is so easy to make and prepare to feel pampered and enveloped by this warm coffee cocktail.
Irish Nachos with Baked Sweet Potato Fries. Sweet potato fries topped with pulled pork or chicken with melted cheese and pico de gallo. Yum!
Slow Cooker Guinness Pulled Pork -deep rich flavor without any bitterness. Set and forget for the perfect fall-apart tender pulled pork.
Throw a last-minute Mardi Gras Party. I love any excuse to throw a party, but Mardi Gras is a favorite, try these easy Mardi Gras recipes.
33 Romantic Recipes for two to Celebrate Valentine’s Day! Simple and elegant recipes for a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner.
Here are Quick and Easy Super Bowl recipes to feed a crowd – throw a stress-free Superbowl party that everyone including you will enjoy.
Here are Quick and Easy Super Bowl Party Menus so you can throw a stress-free Superbowl party that everyone including you will enjoy.
Here are 25 Quick and Easy Super Bowl Party Recipes so you can throw a stress-free Superbowl party that everyone including you will enjoy.
New Year’s Food to Attract Prosperity, health, and wealth in 2020. Italian pork with white truffle risotto or Southern Hoppin’ John.
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker