Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good you’ll be tempted to eat it with a spoon – no judgments here…
I love anything on a skewer. There’s just something fun about eating something cooked on a stick.
Chicken satay is marinated in coconut milk with lots of exotic spices, then grilled to perfection. Then served with the best ever peanut sauce – a spicy crunchy peanut butter sauce – nothing better.
The Chicken satay with crunchy peanut sauce gets its fabulous color from yellow curry powder and turmeric.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce. The perfect no-fuss appetizer
Serve it with a salad and make it a meal. The chicken needs to marinate for an hour or two, but the marinade is super simple to make and you can whip it up in about 5 minutes. So pop the chicken in the marinade in the morning and it will be ready for the barbecue by dinner time.
I promise you won’t be sorry, the marinade makes the chicken super flavorful + keeps it from drying out and tasting like cardboard.
Cooking Tips – Chicken Satay with crunchy peanut sauce.
Don’t over marinate the chicken, it will change the consistency of the meat. Ever had chicken that was kind of mushy – over marinating. You can safely marinate the chicken for a max of 12 hours, so don’t put the chicken in the marinade overnight if you don’t plan on cooking until the following evening – 24 hours is too long.
Makes sure to soak wood skewers in water for at least an hour or they will catch fire and burn – then you won’t have chicken on a stick.
You want to get a nice char on the chicken to get that smokey flavor, just be careful not to burn it. It’s a delicate balance.
If you like a little bit of spice add a dash or 2 of red pepper flakes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Wood or metal skewers
Crunchy Peanut Sauce
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Vidalia or Maui onion - or another sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lite soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- Top with:
- 2 tbsp. crushed peanuts
- 1/4 C coconut milk
- 2 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2.5 t yellow curry powder
- 1.5 t turmeric
- 3 clove garlic - minced
- 1 T freshly grated ginger
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T fish sauce - it won't taste fishy but it can be omitted
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs) - cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 T peanut oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Prepare Wood Skewers
- If you are using wood skewers soak them for at least an hour.
Crunchy Peanut Sauce
- Sauté onion and garlic in peanut oil for 5 to 10 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool slightly and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Set aside until chicken is ready.
- Top with crushed peanuts.
- Cut chicken into 2-inch strips.
- Combine all ingredients listed under the chicken satay section except for the peanut oil in a large mixing bowl
- Add chicken, cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least an hour, but no longer than 12 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Discard the marinade to prevent food poisoning.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to med-high heat.
- Thread chicken onto skewers. Brush with peanut oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place skewers on the grill, and cook, turning twice until the chicken is completely cooked and no pink remains. I like to get a little char on the chicken before I consider it done. The chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Cooking time should be about 10 - 15 minutes
- Serve immediately with crunchy peanut sauce. Top with crushed peanuts.
Make it a Meal
More You Might Like…
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker