Chicken & Okra Creole Recipe
This Chicken & Okra Creole Recipe is a delicious New Orleans classic and a change of pace from the traditional Gumbo.
A “Creole”, like Shrimp Creole or Chicken and Okra Creole, is a tomato-based spicy stew and differs from Étouffée and Gumbo is that it does not start with a roux. Making this a quick meal for a busy weeknight.
To really speed things up, use rotisserie chicken, and your done in under 20 minutes. Boom.
Chicken and Okra Creole
- 4 slices bacon - chopped
- 4 breasts chicken - sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 16 oz fresh - or frozen okra, sliced
- 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup onion - chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Steamed rice
- Season the chicken strips with 1 t Creole seasoning and salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from the pan, leaving bacon drippings and any brown pieces.
- Place bacon on paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Add chicken to the bacon drippings and brown chicken.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, onions, corn, water, and season with 1 t Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste, stir and cook on medium-high for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until all of the vegetables are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve over the steamed rice with crumbled bacon on top.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker