So they aren’t technically speaking Mexican, they are considered Tex-Mex. Apparently, fajitas, as we know them today, were first introduced around the 1940’s. Mexican ranch workers were given some of the less tender cuts of meat, specifically skirt steak, when a cow was butchered so they marinated the meat in citrus and spices to tenderize. Originally fajitas were made exclusively from skirt steak, today we call anything made with fajitas spices a fajita. I just call them delicious.
I make a couple batches of the seasoning mix to speed up the prep.
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 t cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 t chipotle powered
- 1 T crushed oregano
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 t coriander
- 4 chicken breasts - boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Fajitas
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 red or orange bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper large
- 1 large sweet onion - thinly sliced
- Tortillas - OLE Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness! High Fiber Low Carb 8", only 50 calories!
- sour cream
- Cut chicken into strips.
- Mix spices together in a bowl or jar
- Toss chicken with fajita seasoning mix and juice of 1 lime
- Cover and refrigerate while you prep the fajitas vegetables
- In a dutch oven or a large skillet ( I personally use an electric wok so I can cook on sear, I like a little char on my veggies and chicken), over medium heat, heat olive oil
- Season bell peppers, poblano, and onion with salt and pepper and juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Cook bell peppers, poblano, and onion until they soften and start to become soft about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside
- Add more olive oil and add chicken. Keep the temperature on medium high
- Add veggies on top of the chicken
- Let chicken cook undisturbed for 6 minutes, you want to get a little bit of caramelization.
- Toss and continue cooking for another 6-10 minutes until a little charred.
- Squeeze 1/2 a lime and serve immediately with tortillas, guacamole, and sour cream.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Learn how to make a Mediterranean Crudités and Tapas platter. Beautiful, tasty and a satisfying appetizer that will wow guests.
Authentic Greek Souvlaki skewers is a super easy and tasty greek kabob with tender grilled meat marinated in a lemony olive oil mixture.
Learn How to Make Creative Crudités Platters. Forget the sad vegetable platters from the grocery, these Crudités Platters will wow guests.
Learn how to make an Easy Ice Cream Sundae Bar. A great way to finish off a party or BBQ. Ice cream sundae bars are a fun way to let guests make their own ice cream sundae creations.
Here are 25 of the best hot dog recipes – ever. Hot dogs are a quintessential American backyard grilling fav and one of my all-time favorite go-to for an easy cookout for a crowd.
Taco Nacho Cheese Hot Dog combines all the things you love about nachos and tops a beef hot dog with melty cheese sauce and tortilla chips.
Sometimes there’s just nothing better than a classic chili hot dog. Make a batch of homemade slow cooker chili to top your chili dog.
Buffalo Sauced Hot Dog with Blue Cheese and shaved celery combines all the flavors of our favorite buffalo wings into an awesome hot dog.
This is such an amazing hot dog. Beer Steamed Hot Dog with Gruyere and beer soaked onions topped with a honey dijon mustard.
Upgrade your chili dog this season with this black bean chili dog. A hot dog topped with sour cream, cheese, and crushed tortillas.
Hot dogs may not be health food but adding some amazing fresh farmer’s market finds to your next hot dog roast will be a definite upgrade. Locally grown greens, stone ground mustard, fresh herbs, and heirloom tomatoes top a healthier chicken hot dog.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker