So they aren’t technically speaking Mexican, they are considered Tex-Mex. Apparently, fajitas, as we know them today, were first introduced around the 1940’s. Mexican ranch workers were given some of the less tender cuts of meat, specifically skirt steak, when a cow was butchered so they marinated the meat in citrus and spices to tenderize. Originally fajitas were made exclusively from skirt steak, today we call anything made with fajitas spices a fajita. I just call them delicious.
I make a couple batches of the seasoning mix to speed up the prep.
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 t cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 t chipotle powered
- 1 T crushed oregano
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 t coriander
- 4 chicken breasts - boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Fajitas
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 red or orange bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper large
- 1 large sweet onion - thinly sliced
- Tortillas - OLE Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness! High Fiber Low Carb 8", only 50 calories!
- sour cream
- Cut chicken into strips.
- Mix spices together in a bowl or jar
- Toss chicken with fajita seasoning mix and juice of 1 lime
- Cover and refrigerate while you prep the fajitas vegetables
- In a dutch oven or a large skillet ( I personally use an electric wok so I can cook on sear, I like a little char on my veggies and chicken), over medium heat, heat olive oil
- Season bell peppers, poblano, and onion with salt and pepper and juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Cook bell peppers, poblano, and onion until they soften and start to become soft about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside
- Add more olive oil and add chicken. Keep the temperature on medium high
- Add veggies on top of the chicken
- Let chicken cook undisturbed for 6 minutes, you want to get a little bit of caramelization.
- Toss and continue cooking for another 6-10 minutes until a little charred.
- Squeeze 1/2 a lime and serve immediately with tortillas, guacamole, and sour cream.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
33 Romantic Recipes for two to Celebrate Valentine’s Day! Simple and elegant recipes for a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner.
Here are Quick and Easy Super Bowl recipes to feed a crowd – throw a stress-free Superbowl party that everyone including you will enjoy.
Here are Quick and Easy Super Bowl Party Menus so you can throw a stress-free Superbowl party that everyone including you will enjoy.
Here are 25 Quick and Easy Super Bowl Party Recipes so you can throw a stress-free Superbowl party that everyone including you will enjoy.
New Year’s Food to Attract Prosperity, health, and wealth in 2020. Italian pork with white truffle risotto or Southern Hoppin’ John.
Easy Christmas Recipes and Menus designed to taste great and wow your guests. Guaranteed to get you out of the kitchen and into the party.
Tropical Christmas Recipes | Beach Christmas menu. A tropical christmas menu featuring jerk turkey and plantains.
The Feast of Seven Fishes is a traditional Italian Christmas Eve meal. Learn how to prepare the feast of of seven fishes for Christmas Eve.
Everyone loves Thanksgiving but no one loves spending the day in the kitchen while everyone else watches football and noshes on pre-dinner goodies.
Each stress-free Thanksgiving menu is designed to taste great and wow your guests, plus they are super easy to cook, fail-proof, and guaranteed to get you out of the kitchen and into the party.
Dracula Martini Recipe | Dra-Kahlúa. A scary good Halloween or Fall martini made with Kahlúa and cognac. This is sure to be a favorite.
25 tips to help you eat healthy on a budget. Learn how to eat healthy on a budget. Eat better and save money.
Labor Day Recipes for a fun and festive Labor Day party or barbecue. Labor Day recipes, menus and tips to throw the perfect Labor Day party.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker