So they aren’t technically speaking Mexican, they are considered Tex-Mex. Apparently, fajitas, as we know them today, were first introduced around the 1940’s. Mexican ranch workers were given some of the less tender cuts of meat, specifically skirt steak, when a cow was butchered so they marinated the meat in citrus and spices to tenderize. Originally fajitas were made exclusively from skirt steak, today we call anything made with fajitas spices a fajita. I just call them delicious.
I make a couple batches of the seasoning mix to speed up the prep.
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 t cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 t chipotle powered
- 1 T crushed oregano
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 t coriander
- 4 chicken breasts - boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Fajitas
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 red or orange bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper large
- 1 large sweet onion - thinly sliced
- Tortillas - OLE Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness! High Fiber Low Carb 8", only 50 calories!
- sour cream
- Cut chicken into strips.
- Mix spices together in a bowl or jar
- Toss chicken with fajita seasoning mix and juice of 1 lime
- Cover and refrigerate while you prep the fajitas vegetables
- In a dutch oven or a large skillet ( I personally use an electric wok so I can cook on sear, I like a little char on my veggies and chicken), over medium heat, heat olive oil
- Season bell peppers, poblano, and onion with salt and pepper and juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Cook bell peppers, poblano, and onion until they soften and start to become soft about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside
- Add more olive oil and add chicken. Keep the temperature on medium high
- Add veggies on top of the chicken
- Let chicken cook undisturbed for 6 minutes, you want to get a little bit of caramelization.
- Toss and continue cooking for another 6-10 minutes until a little charred.
- Squeeze 1/2 a lime and serve immediately with tortillas, guacamole, and sour cream.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Mexican independence with a south of the border inspired Mexican Fiesta.
Cinco de Mayo Cocktails – 21 Mexican Cocktails to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Margaritas, Palomas and more. Tequila tasting bar.
Spicy Orange Muddled Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling the fruit all the flavor of both the juice and the zest.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker