So they aren’t technically speaking Mexican, they are considered Tex-Mex. Apparently, fajitas, as we know them today, were first introduced around the 1940’s. Mexican ranch workers were given some of the less tender cuts of meat, specifically skirt steak, when a cow was butchered so they marinated the meat in citrus and spices to tenderize. Originally fajitas were made exclusively from skirt steak, today we call anything made with fajitas spices a fajita. I just call them delicious.
I make a couple batches of the seasoning mix to speed up the prep.
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 t cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 t chipotle powered
- 1 T crushed oregano
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 t coriander
- 4 chicken breasts - boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Fajitas
- 1 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 red or orange bell peppers - thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper large
- 1 large sweet onion - thinly sliced
- Tortillas - OLE Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness! High Fiber Low Carb 8", only 50 calories!
- sour cream
- Cut chicken into strips.
- Mix spices together in a bowl or jar
- Toss chicken with fajita seasoning mix and juice of 1 lime
- Cover and refrigerate while you prep the fajitas vegetables
- In a dutch oven or a large skillet ( I personally use an electric wok so I can cook on sear, I like a little char on my veggies and chicken), over medium heat, heat olive oil
- Season bell peppers, poblano, and onion with salt and pepper and juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Cook bell peppers, poblano, and onion until they soften and start to become soft about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside
- Add more olive oil and add chicken. Keep the temperature on medium high
- Add veggies on top of the chicken
- Let chicken cook undisturbed for 6 minutes, you want to get a little bit of caramelization.
- Toss and continue cooking for another 6-10 minutes until a little charred.
- Squeeze 1/2 a lime and serve immediately with tortillas, guacamole, and sour cream.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker