Classic Caprese Salad Recipe
Other than spaghetti and meatballs there may be no other more classic, well-known Italian dish.
Simple, elegant, and easy.
Caprese Salad is an Italian Classic.
Perfect in its simplicity. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. This is the perfect compliment to just about any meal.
Grow or find heirloom tomatoes at the farmer’s market they make a nice twist for this classic. Fresh and tasty.
The key to a great Caprese salad is using excellent quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Make it a Meal
Make a Classic Italian Dinner:
or your favorite Italian red table wine.
- 4 oz mozzarella
- 2 tomatoes - very ripe and cut into 8 1/4 inch slices
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- 3 T pesto - optional - see simple recipe in the notes
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 5 T Balsamic Vinegar
- clove garlic - smashed
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 T toasted pine nut - optional
- 2 T balsamic glaze - for drizzling, store-bought or see recipe in notes
- Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and smashed garlic together in a small bowl or bottle.
- Over medium-high heat toast pine nuts until just golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On individual plates place 1 slice of tomato, drizzle a little pesto, top with mozzarella, drizzle a little pesto then top with 1 slice of tomato. Or if you prefer, use a large plater and alternate tomato and mozzarella slices, adding a little pesto between each layer.
- Drizzle with dressing
- Top with toasted pine nuts
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
More You Might Like…
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker