This Cajun beer can chicken recipe is a smokey, spicy twist on the all-time favorite beer can chicken recipe (as kids we called this butt can chicken). Rubbed with a Cajun seasoning mix, over a can of Abita Beer with grilled andouille sausage. Heaven, there’s nothing better. Grab a cold one and let’s cook this Cajun beer can chicken recipe.
Cajun Beer Can Chicken
- 2 3 1/2 to 4 pound chicken
- 24 oz bottle TurboDog Abita Beer or cans of dark beer - 2 - 12 oz bottles or cans
- 1 head of garlic - with cloves peeled
- 4 teaspoons dry Cajun seasoning - see recipe or buy a blend like Tony Chachere's®
- 2 lbs Andouille Sausage
- op open a can of Dark Beer empty 1/3 of the beer out to make it only 2/3 full of liquid or if using the Turbodog Abita Beer use a clean soda can and fill to 2/3 full.
- Lightly oil the exterior of the can with vegetable oil.
- Remove neck and gizzard and any additional parts, reserve for another use.
- Wash chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.
- Loosen skin and rub 2 teaspoons of dry Cajun seasoning (or your favorite grilling rub or grill seasoning) under skin.
- Create slits in the chicken and stuff with peeled garlic cloves
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of seasoning into cavity
- Cover the tips of the leg bones with tin foil to prevent burning.
- Set up gas or charcoal grill for indirect grilling. For charcoal grills, mound briquettes into two piles on opposite sides of the grill. Light. Heat only one side of gas grill, at a temperature of 400 degrees F, if you have 3 burners heat both sides and cook chickens in the center.
- Stand the beer can on an aluminum pie plate, piece of aluminum foil or special beer can chicken roasting pan. Carefully ease the chicken onto the can, and spread drumsticks away from the body to support the bird in a tripod position.
- Add chicken, locating the bird between the two piles of charcoal on charcoal grills or gas grill with 3 burners, or on the side away from heat on gas grills.
- Add Andouille Sausage to grill when chicken is about 50 degrees from cooked through. Sausage should cook and be browned in about 20 minutes.
- Cover the grill and barbecue chicken over indirect heat for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the breast meat reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken carefully, as there may be hot liquid remaining in the can.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?