This Cajun beer can chicken recipe is a smokey, spicy twist on the all-time favorite beer can chicken recipe (as kids we called this butt can chicken). Rubbed with a Cajun seasoning mix, over a can of Abita Beer with grilled andouille sausage. Heaven, there’s nothing better. Grab a cold one and let’s cook this Cajun beer can chicken recipe.
Cajun Beer Can Chicken
- 2 3 1/2 to 4 pound chicken
- 24 oz bottle TurboDog Abita Beer or cans of dark beer - 2 - 12 oz bottles or cans
- 1 head of garlic - with cloves peeled
- 4 teaspoons dry Cajun seasoning - see recipe or buy a blend like Tony Chachere's®
- 2 lbs Andouille Sausage
- op open a can of Dark Beer empty 1/3 of the beer out to make it only 2/3 full of liquid or if using the Turbodog Abita Beer use a clean soda can and fill to 2/3 full.
- Lightly oil the exterior of the can with vegetable oil.
- Remove neck and gizzard and any additional parts, reserve for another use.
- Wash chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.
- Loosen skin and rub 2 teaspoons of dry Cajun seasoning (or your favorite grilling rub or grill seasoning) under skin.
- Create slits in the chicken and stuff with peeled garlic cloves
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of seasoning into cavity
- Cover the tips of the leg bones with tin foil to prevent burning.
- Set up gas or charcoal grill for indirect grilling. For charcoal grills, mound briquettes into two piles on opposite sides of the grill. Light. Heat only one side of gas grill, at a temperature of 400 degrees F, if you have 3 burners heat both sides and cook chickens in the center.
- Stand the beer can on an aluminum pie plate, piece of aluminum foil or special beer can chicken roasting pan. Carefully ease the chicken onto the can, and spread drumsticks away from the body to support the bird in a tripod position.
- Add chicken, locating the bird between the two piles of charcoal on charcoal grills or gas grill with 3 burners, or on the side away from heat on gas grills.
- Add Andouille Sausage to grill when chicken is about 50 degrees from cooked through. Sausage should cook and be browned in about 20 minutes.
- Cover the grill and barbecue chicken over indirect heat for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the breast meat reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken carefully, as there may be hot liquid remaining in the can.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
35 Romantic Valentine’s Day Recipes. There is nothing better than cooking a romantic dinner and enjoying Valentine’s Day dinner at home. Making a romantic dinner at home can be fun and easy – just stick with elegant, simple meals that come together in no time and are super easy to make.
All these recipes are tried and true – each one tested and guaranteed to be easy and foolproof.
23 Easy Recipes for Mardi Gras. Celebrate Mardi Gras with easy recipes to feed a crowd. Everything from Jambalaya, Seafood Gumbo, Shrimp Étouffée, Famous New Orleans Morning Call Beignets, King Cake, Pat O’Brien’s Copycat Hurricane Cocktail, a King Cake Martini and so much more… These super easy Mardi Gras recipes guarantee everyone will have a great time and you’ll have time to spend with family and friends instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Bites. Delicious, Quick + Easy. Ready in 20 minutes. Everything you love about Buffalo wings without the bones + the mess. These little tasty beauties are spicy and zesty — the perfect finger food. + Since they aren’t deep fried they are a healthier option.
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?