Black Bean Chocolate Chicken Chili Recipe or Chicken Mole Chile
Spicy, thick & rich with a touch of sweetness this chocolate chicken chili is the perfect cross between a traditional Mexican Mole (one of my all time favorites) and a fresh Tex-Mex Chili. Sure to be a new favorite.
Black Bean Chocolate Chicken Chili (Mole Chicken Chili)
- 1 T cooking oil
- 3 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small Vidalia onion - diced
- 2 T chili powder - or to taste
- 1/2 T ground cumin - or to taste
- 1 T cinnamon powder
- 2 t almond extract
- 1 T dried chipotle chili pepper - ground into powder
- 2 T ancho chile powder
- 1/2 t ground cayenne pepper
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 chipotle chiles - canned in adobo sauce, minced*
- 15 oz canned black beans - undrained
- 11 oz canned whole kernel corn - drained
- 1 t green pepper sauce - e.g., Tabasco®
- 6 oz can roasted garlic tomato paste
- 30 oz canned diced tomatoes - undrained
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 T orange blossom honey
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions - sliced
- 1/2 cup feta or Cojito cheese
- 1/4 sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute onion until just beginning to become transparent
- Place chicken in the pot; brown on all sides.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chili powder, cumin, ground chipotle, cinnamon, almond extract, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix in onion, and chipotle chiles in the adobe sauce.
- Pour in about 1 cup of water, and continue cooking 10 minutes, until about 1/2 the water has evaporated.
- Mix black beans, and corn into the pot.
- Season with green pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat to low, and mix in the remaining 2 cups of water, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add cocoa powder and honey, stirring to combine.
- Ladle chili equally into 8 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, Garnish with green onions.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, cheese, sour cream, sliced green onion and chopped cilantro to serve.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Mexican independence with a south of the border inspired Mexican Fiesta.
Cinco de Mayo Cocktails – 21 Mexican Cocktails to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Margaritas, Palomas and more. Tequila tasting bar.
Spicy Orange Muddled Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling the fruit all the flavor of both the juice and the zest.
Spicy Classic Margarita turns up the heat with a slice of jalapeno and paired with a sweet heat rim of sugar and chipotle chili.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker