Black Bean Chocolate Chicken Chili Recipe or Chicken Mole Chile
Spicy, thick & rich with a touch of sweetness this chocolate chicken chili is the perfect cross between a traditional Mexican Mole (one of my all time favorites) and a fresh Tex-Mex Chili. Sure to be a new favorite.
Black Bean Chocolate Chicken Chili (Mole Chicken Chili)
- 1 T cooking oil
- 3 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small Vidalia onion - diced
- 2 T chili powder - or to taste
- 1/2 T ground cumin - or to taste
- 1 T cinnamon powder
- 2 t almond extract
- 1 T dried chipotle chili pepper - ground into powder
- 2 T ancho chile powder
- 1/2 t ground cayenne pepper
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 chipotle chiles - canned in adobo sauce, minced*
- 15 oz canned black beans - undrained
- 11 oz canned whole kernel corn - drained
- 1 t green pepper sauce - e.g., Tabasco®
- 6 oz can roasted garlic tomato paste
- 30 oz canned diced tomatoes - undrained
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 T orange blossom honey
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions - sliced
- 1/2 cup feta or Cojito cheese
- 1/4 sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute onion until just beginning to become transparent
- Place chicken in the pot; brown on all sides.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chili powder, cumin, ground chipotle, cinnamon, almond extract, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix in onion, and chipotle chiles in the adobe sauce.
- Pour in about 1 cup of water, and continue cooking 10 minutes, until about 1/2 the water has evaporated.
- Mix black beans, and corn into the pot.
- Season with green pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat to low, and mix in the remaining 2 cups of water, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add cocoa powder and honey, stirring to combine.
- Ladle chili equally into 8 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, Garnish with green onions.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, cheese, sour cream, sliced green onion and chopped cilantro to serve.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker