Decadent Low-Calorie Pumpkin Custard Recipe
Decadent Low-Calorie Pumpkin Custard is the perfect low-calorie dessert for the holidays. Many of us look forward to having pumpkin pie once a year on Thanksgiving but we may not want all the extra calories. Give this recipe a try – you’ll get all the pumpkin pie goodness with 1/2 the calories.
If you want a lighter dessert, but still want all of the flavors of your traditional pumpkin pie, try making this simple pumpkin custard instead. This pumpkin custard is basically a pumpkin pie without the pie shell. In fact, pumpkin pie is a fairly healthy dessert option, and it is even healthier if you don’t use the pie shell, which is made mostly from butter.
Enjoy pumpkin custard throughout the fall season, since pumpkins are in such ready supply you can easily use fresh pumpkin, or use canned puréed pumpkin if you are short on time or can’t find fresh pumpkin.
You can make this custard by purchasing a puréed pumpkin and following the easy recipe on the can, or you can use fresh seasonal pumpkins and make a fresh pumpkin custard.
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light cream or skin evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- You can puree the pumpkin yourself rather than using canned pumpkin.
- To do so, start by finding a smallish pumpkin that was grown for eating, not carving.
- Cut your pumpkin in half and scrape off the seeds and cut out the stem.
- Place the pumpkin halves on a greased baking sheet with the peel-side down and cover with foil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately an hour, then remove the foil and continue to bake for another 45 minutes.
- When the flesh of the pumpkin is very soft, it is done. Allow the pumpkin to cool, until it can be handled.
- Then using a spoon scrape the flesh of the pumpkin off of the peel. Discard the peel.
- Next, place your pumpkin in a very fine sieve over the sink and top with a heavy weight, allow the pumpkin to drain for some time.
- Now you have fresh pumpkin puree for your custard.
- When you are ready to make your custard, take your pumpkin and place it in the food processor with all of the spices and sugar.
- Now put the pumpkin puree into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Stirring continuously, cook the pumpkin until thick.
- Next quickly whisk in the cream or milk and bring to a very gentle simmer.
- Beat the eggs until mixed in the food processor or a large bowl, then slowly add the hot pumpkin.
- Pour the filling into a greased pie pan and bake until the custard is firm, approximately 30 minutes.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
Caprese Salad an Italian Classic. Layers of tomato and mozzarella topped with basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Fresh and tasty.
Eggplant Milanese. Better than take-out and done in 30 minutes. Special enough for a party, simple enough for tonight!
Pork Al Pastor perfectly pairs sweet pineapple with smokey chipotles. Using a slow cooker may not be authentic but it makes it easy to serve pork Al Pastor tacos for taco Tuesday or any day.
Chicken Milanese with an arugula salad recipe. Simple and elegant chicken Milanese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Chicken Satay with Crunchy Peanut Sauce is the perfect Thai appetizer. The crunchy peanut sauce is so good – a new family favorite.
Creamy and spicy Chicken Pineapple Curry. Way better than take-out. Simple and easy and on the table in less than 30 minutes. Filled with fresh veggies and just a touch of sweetness from the pineapple. Elegant enough for entertaining, simple enough for dinner tonight!
This Make Your Own Burger Bar is the perfect backyard barbecue. Everyone loves a good burger and this party is super easy and stress-free.
4th of July Barbecue Recipes to celebrate Independence Day. This easy-breezy 4th of July Barbecue menu includes all-American BBQ favs.
Heirloom Cherry Tomato Greek Salad is the perfect light summer salad. The vibrant flavors pair well with grilled meats, chicken, and fish.
41 Recipes for a Father’s Day Barbecue. A laidback barbecue is a perfect way to celebrate Dad. So fire up the grill and get cooking.
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?