Decadent Low-Calorie Pumpkin Custard Recipe
Decadent Low-Calorie Pumpkin Custard is the perfect low-calorie dessert for the holidays. Many of us look forward to having pumpkin pie once a year on Thanksgiving but we may not want all the extra calories. Give this recipe a try – you’ll get all the pumpkin pie goodness with 1/2 the calories.
If you want a lighter dessert, but still want all of the flavors of your traditional pumpkin pie, try making this simple pumpkin custard instead. This pumpkin custard is basically a pumpkin pie without the pie shell. In fact, pumpkin pie is a fairly healthy dessert option, and it is even healthier if you don’t use the pie shell, which is made mostly from butter.
Enjoy pumpkin custard throughout the fall season, since pumpkins are in such ready supply you can easily use fresh pumpkin, or use canned puréed pumpkin if you are short on time or can’t find fresh pumpkin.
You can make this custard by purchasing a puréed pumpkin and following the easy recipe on the can, or you can use fresh seasonal pumpkins and make a fresh pumpkin custard.
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light cream or skin evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- You can puree the pumpkin yourself rather than using canned pumpkin.
- To do so, start by finding a smallish pumpkin that was grown for eating, not carving.
- Cut your pumpkin in half and scrape off the seeds and cut out the stem.
- Place the pumpkin halves on a greased baking sheet with the peel-side down and cover with foil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approximately an hour, then remove the foil and continue to bake for another 45 minutes.
- When the flesh of the pumpkin is very soft, it is done. Allow the pumpkin to cool, until it can be handled.
- Then using a spoon scrape the flesh of the pumpkin off of the peel. Discard the peel.
- Next, place your pumpkin in a very fine sieve over the sink and top with a heavy weight, allow the pumpkin to drain for some time.
- Now you have fresh pumpkin puree for your custard.
- When you are ready to make your custard, take your pumpkin and place it in the food processor with all of the spices and sugar.
- Now put the pumpkin puree into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Stirring continuously, cook the pumpkin until thick.
- Next quickly whisk in the cream or milk and bring to a very gentle simmer.
- Beat the eggs until mixed in the food processor or a large bowl, then slowly add the hot pumpkin.
- Pour the filling into a greased pie pan and bake until the custard is firm, approximately 30 minutes.
< Eat < Drink < Party <
101 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Memorial Day Celebration. Celebrate Memorial Day with easy stress-free recipes and barbecue ideas.
Learn How to Entertain Safely During Covid-19. Keep family and friends safe as we return to entertaining responsibly. Enjoy life and celebrations with these easy to follow tips. Simple steps to stay healthy.
Mermaid Smoothie breakfast bowls are as delicious as they are beautiful. Coconut yogurt makes this bowl super creamy, a secret makes it blue.
Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus. Celebrate Mom with 11 full menu ideas with recipes for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, and Dinner. Thanks, Mom!
Calling all Mermaids. The mermaid margarita is as delicious as it is beautiful. Fresh fruit juices, tequila, and a splash of Blue Curacao. Yum!
Creamy Coconut Margarita Recipe. Move over Pina Colada. This creamy dreamy coconut margarita has all the coconutty goodness without being too sweet.
Grab your little cocktail umbrellas and make a pitcher or two of these little beauties. A tropical vacation in a glass.
Muddled Raspberry Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling releases the juice and sweetness of the fruit.
This amazing roasted pineapple margarita is sweet but not too sweet and caramelized from grilling. Add a slice of jalapeno for a little kick.
Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Mexican independence with a south of the border inspired Mexican Fiesta.
Cinco de Mayo Cocktails – 21 Mexican Cocktails to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Margaritas, Palomas and more. Tequila tasting bar.
Spicy Orange Muddled Margarita Recipe is the perfect fresh fruit margarita. Muddling the fruit all the flavor of both the juice and the zest.
Spicy Classic Margarita turns up the heat with a slice of jalapeno and paired with a sweet heat rim of sugar and chipotle chili.
DIY + Create
I love serving homemade meals and entertaining, but I don’t love spending all my time in the kitchen… Sound familiar? I’ll share my shortcuts for getting delicious, healthy food on the table – easy, fast & stress-free. All of my recipes have been tested on family and friends. We love them and I hope you will too.
Chief Mermaid & Mojito Maker
This is me hangin’ out on the boat – it’s an absolutely gorgeous day in the Florida Keys – doing what wannabe mermaids do best…splashing in the waves + soaking up the sun. Life’s amazing. Want to learn more?